tolel

Opening Word Problem

Everytime I go "New Office Document| Blank Document |"
    Word opens, but I get the following error in a "Microsoft Visual Basic" popup:

Run-Time error '-2147467259 (80004005)':
    Automation error

continue end debug help

I have reloaded the operating system (Win 98) and upgraded to Win ME. I have uninstalled and reinstalled MS Office 2000 Premium and Professional. All other included applications (excel, etc...) work with out this glich. "Continue" and "debug" are not selectable. I always click "end" and everything works fine. It seems to be just annoying. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Re: Opening Word Problem

If you shut down Word, rename the Normal.dot template to something else (e.g., oldNormal.dot), and start it up again, does it still happen?

If so, do you have any add-ins that load automatically?

tolel

Thanks! I am kind of embarassed that I didn't think of it. The file "hpssplwa.dot" was trying to load. Do you know what it is? I tried to open it and it said that it had macros that did not open and to consult the vendor to determine how to run them. Thanks again.

Thanks

I threw that file name into a few search engines and came up dry. Does the template have any properties accessible? Other approaches could be more time-consuming.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

A search on www.hp.com for "+Word +templates" turned up<A target="_blank" HREF=http://search.hp.com/query.html?ht=0&qp=&qt=+Word++templates&qs=&qc=&pw =100%&ws=0&la=en&qm=0&st=1&lk=1&rf=0&oq=&rq=0&si=1 &nh=10&submit.x=12&submit.y=4> the following</A>. I couldn't find a specific reference to the template name you've mentioned but was wondering: have you installed any new HP hardware lately?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

>hpssplwa.dot

Doesn't appear on my machine, and I have an HPLJ4L

Thanks

I suspect it's for a HP Scanner - there was some mention on their site regarding templates for this. (Maybe some atomated way of inserting a scan into a doc?)

tolel

To all:

Thanks for the help. It was an add-on for my HP R40 All-in-one. This is a great place for help and many great ideas for killing the problem. I unloaded the add-in for now and Word starts with no problems. Thanks again everyone.