2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

opening multiple copies (2002)

I'd like to be able to open multiple copies of my .mdb file. Currently, if I try to double-click my file's icon, it will open. Then, if I try to double-click the icon again, the open database will maximize. However, I cannot open multiple copies of the same db. Does anyone know how I can change this?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: opening multiple copies (2002)

Taibe
    Why would you want to open multiple copies of the same database on the same machine?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I know it sounds stupid, but this is how my users want to use it. The mdb file is actually only the front-end of the db. The users cannot see any database objects. They just interact with forms and reports. They want to be able to open a record, and leave it open on their machine while they (for example) add a new record. They do this by opening multiple copies of the front-end mdb file. Any ideas?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

This sounds very dangerous indeed.
    I'm not if you can open multiple as you desire but your users requests if it can be done asks for problems.
    If one user has a particular record open and some-one wants to add to it, the recordset is already opened and will cause record clashes.
    I think you may need to educate your users to not use the database in this way.
    Surely there is another way to achieve what you require, but more in the way of design and not open usability.

Sorry if I've sounded a bit harsh.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It's possible to start a second instance of Access, and to open the database in that instance. In itself, this is possible - Access is a multi-user application after all, but it takes up a lot of resources. It might be better to open multiple instances of a form. This can be done in code, for instance from a command button or custom toolbar button. See ACC2000: How to Open Multiple Instances of a Form. This MSKB article contains sample code and a link to a downloadable demo database.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You make a very good point! Thanks. I will leave things just as they are to prevent users from locking several records at a time.