New Lounger
    Thanks

Power Point Won't Start (Office 2000 SR-1Premium)

I got a copy of Office 2000 SR-1 Premium with almost all Office suites on it from my wife's school system. We had Office 2000 Small Business on our computer; I loaded up the new Office and everything installed well. All the programs--Word, Excel, Front Page, etc. fired up on schedule. But Power Point 2000 would not start. The start box appeared briefly, disappeared; then nothing; the hard drive would grind on for about 20 minutes and finally, Power Point would appear. Figuring an Office Clash, I uninstalled the Small Business Office and replaced it with the 2000 SR-1 Premium Office. I also upgraded to SP-3. Yet Power Point would still not start. I did find a Microsoft KB article 236589 which addresses at least some of this issue. It suggsted disabling the Startup Box. I tried that (when PP finally loaded) but it still did not work . The next suggestion was to delete the Recent File List. I have yet to delete the Recent File List as suggested by the article; it was past 11:30 pm and I have a cardinal rule--do not do anything with the Registry past 11 pm! There's obviously some clash here or something is missing because Power Point is the only application in the suite having this problem. Having SR 1 or SR1a is supposed to have solved this, yet I have SP 3 so SR 1 should be in there. Can anyone help with a solution or at least an explanation of why this activity is occurring. Thanks!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Power Point Won't Start (Office 2000 SR-1Premium)

I have no idea whether it will help, but take a look at PowerPoint gets the SLOWS.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Uninstall Office once again. Then download and use Utility to Completely Remove Remaining Office CD1 Files and Registry Entries

After that, run Scandisk (for Windows 95/98) or for Windows NT-2000-XP Start | Run "chkdsk /f" (without quotation marks) and reboot your computer. It is better to run Defrag next.

And at last, install Office 2000 Premium SR-1 once again (or apply SR-1 patch separately), apply SP-3, Outlook 2000 Update: December 18, 2002, Access 2000 Snapshot Viewer Security Patch: KB826292, Office 2000 WordPerfect 5.x Converter Security Patch: KB824993, Word 2000 Security Patch: KB824936, Access 2000 Runtime Security Patch: KB827431, Office 2000 Security Patch: KB822035 (you can download them from here) and install Ken Slovak Attachment Options if applicable.

I hope it will solve your problem. Good luck!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Well this all sounds like a strategy; I'll give it a try and see what happens;
    I didn't have anything on the agenda tonight :-)

PS--I have Norton Systemworks 2003; does it make any difference if I used that or ScanDisk? I also won't be using Outlook so I will pass on the Ken Slovak attachments file. Thanks and I'll let you know if it works.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Well, I figured it out. Thanks to lounger kaplinb who gave me some sites to check out, there was reference on one FAQ to Norton SystemWorks 2003 (or earlier versions) which has a setting that checks Office programs for viruses, etc. It suggested disabling the function. I did, and now all the programs open much more quickly and PP works like a charm. I like Norton but there's always a little hidden time bomb or two that affects e-mail and things like Office. So the lesson here is when everything else seems unexplainable, check Norton if you have it. You just have to make Norton behave the way you want, not the way it wants.

Problem solved but I chalk it up to the Lounge. Thanks, everyone

New Lounger
    Thanks

I should also thank Hans V as well. Didn't mean to leave anyone out.