New Lounger
    Thanks

Converting Access 97 to 2003 (Access 97/2003)

Primarily our Access databases are still in Access 97; however, we have an agency mandate to migrate to Office/Access 2003. Any pitfalls we should be aware of in doing this as right now I don't even have a copy of Office 2003?

Thanks!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Converting Access 97 to 2003 (Access 97/2003)

I don't have Access 2003, but converting to 2003 won't be a whole lot different from converting to 2002.
    <UL><LI>Prepare the conversion thoroughly.
    <LI>Make the interim period in which some users have Access 97 and others Access 2003 as short as possible.
    <LI>The file format has changed. Access 2003 can open Access 97 databases directly, but then you can't change the design of database objects, although you can edit data. If you need to exchange databases with the outside world, it might be wise to migrate to the Access 2000 format. Access 2000, 2002 and 2003 can open and edit databases in Access 2000 format without conversion. If you seledom exchange data with others, go for the native format. Note: if you create a database in another than the native format, you can't create an MDE from it.
    <LI>In Access 97, DAO is the default data object model. If you have code in your databases, it is likely that there is DAO code among it. If you convert, the reference to DAO will be converted too. If you import database objects into a new database, there will be no reference to DAO by default. You can set it in the Visual Basic Editor, in Tools | References...
    <LI>As a precaution, it is wise to prefix the declaration of all DAO objects, such as field, recordset, property etc. with DAO:

Dim rst As DAO.Recordset
    Dim fld As DAO.Field

This is because some names of DAO objects are also names of ADO objects; ADO is the new default data object model. Explicitly prefixing the declaration prevents confusion.
    <LI>If you initiate mailmerge in Word from Access, be aware that the way mailmerge works has changed radically in Word 2000; OLE DB is now the default method of connecting to a data source. If you need details about this, I or <!profile=WendellB>WendellB<!/profile> can provide them.
    <LI>In Access 97, you can edit database objects while other users are working in it. In Access 2000 and up, you need to open a database exclusively if you want to edit the design of database objects. A good way to cope with this is to split the database into a shared back end with tables, and individual front ends with forms and reports based on linked tables.[/list]I'm sure I'm forgetting important issues. If I think of anything else, I'll post it, and hopefully others will add their comments too, especially if they already use Access 2003.