New Lounger
    Thanks

Sharing a .pst file (Office 2000)

I've installed a network within my office.

I know how to share other MS Office files, but I can't seem to figure out how to share my Outlook .pst file between two computers.

My contacts file is quite large and I would like to be able to share it between office users without having to copy it and install it on each computer individually and then update it on a regular basis.

Thanks for your help.
    Dave

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Sharing a .pst file (Office 2000)

If you're looking to share just the Contacts folder, have a look at this thread.

If you're looking to share the entire PST file, that would be approached differently. Please post back if that is the case.

HTH
    Gre

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, at this point all I really want to share is the contact file with email addys. If I read the thread correctly, it appears that there is no way to do it.

Of course, if there is a way to share the entire .pst file, then that would be ok.

If so, I'll just do it the hard way.

Thanks again.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

You can share the entire PST file. <UL><LI>You will need to decide which machine is to be the "server".<LI>Presumably, you already have fixed drive mappings to the server. If not, you will find it simpler to have this set up - using Tools|Map Network Drive in Windows Explorer.<LI>If you're using NTFS, you will also need to have the appropriate permissions set up. <LI>Close down Outlook on the client machine. <LI>If you haven't already done so, make sure that the "Show hidden files and folders" option is checked in Control Panel|Folder Options. <LI>Remove the PST on the client machine from its default location - something like Cocuments and Settings<username>Local SettingsApplication DataMicrosoftOutlook. (If you're using Windows 9x, try Local Settings in your Windows folder.)<LI>Start up Outlook. <LI>It will complain that it can't find the previous PST. Navigate it through the Network Drive to the PST on the server. <LI>Once you have established the "share", the client machine can also re-open its old PST. <LI>N.B. You will have to take it in turn to have Outlook open; as only one user can access the PST at a time. Thus, you may have to adapt this workaround for day to day use.[/list]HTH
    Gre

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Keep in mind that using a pst over a network is slow (worse as the pst gets larger) and can result in corruption. I would look at some of the 3rd party apps made for sharing. (See http://www.slpstick.com for a list)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I definitely agree with the speed issue. I wish someone would write an Exchange for Home so that Outlook will only 'network' the changes to the file.