New Lounger
    Thanks

Explorer process won't run

Since running windows update this morning, I have been unable to start Win2K properly. There were 3 critical update, which I did not note the names of. After installing the updates, rebooting, and logging in, I will see the task bar at the bottom of the screen for a fraction of a second, and then everything seems to stop. No more task bar, no desktop, no icons, no HD activity, etc. I checked task manager and saw that explorer.exe is not running, when it normally should be. Attempted to start explorer.exe, but without success. Also unable to run Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer. The only way I can browse the internet is via Outlook 2002, which doesn't seem to be very happy about it and keeps crashing. I am able to run most applications by pressing ctrl-alt-del to get the task manager and using it to start a new task.

I think the best thing to do would probably be to uninstall the critical updates that were installed this morning, but have been unable to do so.

Any suggestions?

Hiro

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: Explorer process won't run

Can you boot into safe mode?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I can, but it makes no difference. The symptoms remain exactly the same. The taskbar appears for a fraction of a second, no icons, no HD activity, etc. I've tried going to windowsupdate.microsoft.com to try to remove the newly installed updates but it seems Outlook 2002 can't handle the page. As before, I can't run Internet Explorer and am forced to use Outlook 2002, which is most unhappy and keeps freezing and crashing.

Any other suggestions will be welcomed.

Hiro

Administrator
    Thanks

Have you tried to reapir the install?

Joe
    Joe

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

1) I'd run System Restore as my first step. You can reverse it if you don't like the result unless you run SR in Safe Mode. Then I'd install the hotfixes or updates one by one and wait a couple days in between.

2) This VB Script or Regedit has a very high percentage of restorning the taskbar on an NT Kernel machine See Troubleshooting Windows XP Line 164 left side

Also for reference (this applies to Win 2K and there is not a separate MSKB on this for Win 2K):
    318027:Taskbar Is Missing When You Log On to Windows

3) Add/Remove usually lists them by last first, but does not list all hotfixes. The Registry does under the following keys:

If hotfixes have been applied to Windows NT, Windows 2000 or Windows XP, that is recorded in the registry. Check the following registry key to see what hotfixes have been applied. This is how utilities can query the OS about which hotfixes have been applied.
    Hive: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    Key: SOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionHotfix

There will be a subkey for each hotfix that has been applied. This registry tip applies to NT, W2K and XP.
    hotfixes could also be listed at

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftUpdatesWindows 2000SPX where X could be 1-4.

Hive: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    Key: SOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionHotfix
    There should be a subkey for each hotfix applied normally. This applies to NT, 2K, and XP.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftUpdatesWindows 2000SPX

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftUpdatesWindows 2000SPX

You can conveniently find the list of hotfix updates at these sites and the context may help you add or remember hotfixes.

Technet Security Bulletin List

Security Bulletin Search

SMBP

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Hiro--

Also this regedit is specific for restoring the taskbar on a Win 2K or Win XP machine. Close all desktop applications first if possible:

Delete the entire "StuckRects" key, or "StuckRects2" for Windows 2000/XP, and reboot.

When Windows restarts the taskbar should be set back to a default working state.

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVe rsionExplorer
    StuckRects

SMBP

Administrator
    Thanks

SMBP, There is no such thing as system restore in W2K. System restore started with ME, then XP.

Joe
    Joe

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Whoops. That's right. ME RTM'd June 19, 2000 and Win 2K RTM'd December 1999 with NT Backup. And I don't know whether they coulda but the didn't.

So that only leaves Kelly's Line 164, the MSKB, and the regedits.

Thanks Joe--I always remember about having to get an msconfig if you want one for Win 2K.

SMBP