Star Lounger
    Thanks

Custom Labels (Word XP)

I need to create one label at a time with a return address and the ability to type in the address and print the label in a particular place on the page. For Avery 5164 there are 3 rows and 2 columns, so I need to be able to print the row 3 column 1 label for instance. Manually this works, but I need to automate it for lazy users.
    In addition, I need each label to have a nice rounded border. I cannot get a border around a label. I can also not find a rounded border in Word.
    What am I doing wrong?

Thank you for any help!!!

deutsch

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Custom Labels (Word XP)

Hi Deutsch:
    I have Word 2000, but hopefully you can do this with Word 2002 also. In general terms, I would create a template with a rounded rectangle autoshape in it. Give it an absolute position on the page when you format it. If you right click on it, there should be a command on the context menu that says "Add Text". You can then insert two fields with the following syntax:

{useraddress} to get the return address
    {macrobutton nomacro type address here} for the addressee

You can position those fields where you wish using paragraph spacing & indentation. Note that the field braces are inserted by using Ctrl+F9; you cannot type the curly braces. Hope this gives you some ideas. Post back if you have more questions.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you so much for your suggestions.
    I can get a nice autoshape. I can add the fields you suggested into the autoshape. However, I cannot merge at all and not only that, I need this stuff in a document that consists of labels. I then need to be able to print one specific label. Nothing I have tried works. I have looked under help and found the ASK filed. When I use it, it does nothing - I did not forget to add the bookmark where I wanted the data. This is driving me nuts and my users keep telling me that Wordperfect could do it why not Word!

Am I asking too much of Word? Am I doing something wrong? Is it in general not possible to do what Wordperfect calls a keyboard merge? The user is prompted for input and the result is placed in a specific place.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by Phil Rabichow on 13-Nov-03 12:55. to add addendum)</P>I think I misunderstood what you were trying to do. I wasn't thinking of a mail merge. I thought that you just wanted a document that had a single label (with rounded corners), that contained the return address, & where you could "type" in an addressee. I have a couple questions:

1. Are you trying to get a whole page of the same label or just create a document with a single label on it?
    2. Why do you need rounded corners? If you are printing onto a custom label sheet, I assume that you have labels with rounded corners & all you're using Word for is to supply the text.

Quite frankly, whenever I've printed a label on a sheet of labels, I find that, at most, I can run it through twice. After that, the labels start peeling off. Maybe it's my printer or the wrong type of labels, but I find the heat destroys them.

When Word creates a table (which is what a page of labels are), you can't print an individual cell. You could copy & paste it at a certain location in a new document. You could select an entire row & print that row only. When you do, it will default to the upper left margin. You could therefore, create a template with a one row table & do a merge. Then you could select & print any label (table cell) in the upper right hand corner of the page. Does that help?

Addendum: I just experimented with a mailmerge in Word 2000 & it brought both fields across in the merge (useraddress & macrobutton). I know that Word 2002 change the behavior, especially if you use Access or Excel as a datasource. I don't have a later version to text.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I overlooked one part of your reply. The ASK field should do what you want. Don't put bookmarks in your document. Put REF fields where you want the information.

{REF BookmarkName}
    where the curly brackets are inserted by using Ctrl+F9, not typed.
    Hope this helps,