Lounger
    Thanks

Desktop toolbar & My Documents

How can I make the "My Documents" folder behave like any other folder in the desktop toolbar. Specifically, when I click the double arrow >> on the desktop toolbar, I get a popup list of everything on the desktop. If I hover over a folder, I get a popup of that folders contents, and so on. The only folder that does not do that is the "My Documents" folder. On a friends computer (also running Win 98SE) his documents folder used to work normally, then suddenly stopped for no apparent reason.
    Any help would be appriciated.

TIA,
    Gary

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Desktop toolbar & My Documents

The "My Documents" folder is a shell folder in 8 and beyond. It doesn't behave like a normal folder IF you select it from the root in Explorer.

Huh?

My Documents is two things: an actual folder on the hard drive somewhere, and also a bevy of shortcuts. There is a DLL that resolves you to the actual folder when you click on it in the open dialogs, etc.

Open Explorer, right-click on My Documents, and make sure that the target folder exists. Move it if you need to. Or you can delete it and then re-create it but I'd avoid that one.
    -Mark

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Desktop toolbar & My Documents

I understand that the My Documents icon on the desktop is not really the My Documents folder, but even when I navigate to the actual folder, it does not show the pop-up with the contents, all I can do is click it to open it in a window.

Gary