New Lounger
    Thanks

Line Charts (2002)

I want to remove the line between 2 data points on a line chart so my chart shows a gap between the points. It's seems like I can do it some times and not others. I'm selecting the area of the line I want to 'hide', right clicking, and choosing "None" for the line option under patterns. Can you only do this to 1 section? Why doesn't it work every time?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Line Charts (2002)

I've only got XL 97so the finer points of this suggestion may need modification...

Make sure you have an empty cell in the series you are plotting, at the point where you want the gap, then under Tools | Options on the Chart tab there are options dealing with how Excel plots empty cells.

(not) stuck

Thanks

Use a blank for the middle (to leave the gap) and =NA() in the other cells to fill in the line

Steve

<table border=1><td></td><td align=center>A</td><td align=center>B</td><td align=center>C</td><td align=center>D</td><td align=center>E</td><td align=center>F</td><td align=center valign=bottom>22</td><td align=right valign=bottom>123</td><td align=center valign=bottom>#N/A</td><td align=right valign=bottom>564</td><td align=right valign=bottom>456</td><td align=right valign=bottom>700</td><td align=right valign=bottom>643</td><td align=center valign=bottom>23</td><td align=right valign=bottom>987</td><td align=center valign=bottom></td><td align=right valign=bottom>800</td><td align=right valign=bottom>600</td><td align=right valign=bottom>500</td><td align=right valign=bottom>350</td><td align=center valign=bottom>24</td><td align=right valign=bottom>430</td><td align=center valign=bottom>#N/A</td><td align=right valign=bottom>600</td><td align=right valign=bottom>540</td><td align=right valign=bottom>300</td><td align=right valign=bottom>700</td></table>

New Lounger
    Thanks

I still get a line (see sheet 2 of attachment)

See Sheet 1 of attached to view what I want to do. I have previously done this by coloring the section of the line I want to hide. I just thought there must be some way to have it not show up. Maybe there isn't. Like I noted in the attached, I can remove the line on the first and last sections of the charted line, but not in any between, by using the Format Data Point box and choosing "None" under the line tab.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

See the second chart on sheet 1 of the attached, is this the effect you are after? I did it the way you say you can't, i.e. select a point then format it to no line

(not) stuck

New Lounger
    Thanks

It works great in 97, but no longer works the same in 02. Any insight on how a person could get it to work the same in 02 or am I fighting a loosing battle?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I knew being stuck as a dinosaur has advantages.
    stuck
    PS I have a completely unrelated problem just now where me and Acrobat 4 are good friends but Acrobat 5 and I are not talking, oh and v6 is no better.

Thanks

Have you tried it like in the attached.

Steve

New Lounger
    Thanks

Very clever. Thank you...this just might work!