2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dates into Month's (2000 - SR2)

I have a database for which the customer enters a date in the "05/12/2003" format. Now they want me to see if I can capture the amount of data by month and year. Is there a method of using the date format, where I can use the "05" to equal May, "06" equals June, and so on, and also capture the "2003" to represent data specifically for that year?

So when reports are run for a calendar year it would show the data totals broken down by each month, and if a full report is run, it would show totals by calendar year. Any ideas? As always, thanks in advance for the assistance.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Dates into Month's (2000 - SR2)

With the report open in design mode, select View | Sorting and Grouping. Enter the date field in Field/Expression, set Group Header or Group Footer (or both) to Yes, and select Year in Group On. In the second row, enter the date field too, and select Month in Group On. This will group your data by year and month.

To display just the month in a text box, set its Control Source to the date field and its Format property to mmmm. This stands for the full name. Similarly,, to display only the year in another text box, set its Control Source to the date field too, but its Format property to yyyy.

You can use expressions like =Sum([SomeField]) in the group header or footer to total data.

You can also use the Report Wizard to design a report. It will offer options for sorting, grouping and totalling.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The problem I am have is not a report grouping issue, it is how to turn the entered date "5/12/2003" into the month of "May" and the year "2003". I need to re-code the date from the "5/12/200" in a query (I believe) so that I can figure out how many "May " dates I have (and every other month) and how many "2003" records I have (along with 2002 and 2001.

Ulitmately I will be generating a nemerical report that details how many records for each Month and each year.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

TheMonth:Format([DateField],"mmmm")
    TheYear:Year([DateField])

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Got it. Thanks.