Thanks

IE 6.0 & PDF Files (IE 6.0.2800.1106CO)

I just started having a problem with IE6: PDF files will not open within IE. I have Adobe Acrobat 5 installed. This worked fine until the other day (and so many things go on that I have no idea when the problem actually started). Now, when I click a PDF file, I get an empty IE window with a little square icon in the upper left corner (like it doesn't recognize the PDF files or call Acrobat). Anybody know how to fix this? It probably started after I ran the last update of IE, I suppose. I can't find a way to run "repair" on either IE or Acrobat. Any suggestions??

Thx.

-Rich Belthoff

Thanks

Re: IE 6.0 & PDF Files (IE 6.0.2800.1106CO)

The PDF viewer is an ActiveX control, so the first thing I would check is the security settings for the "zone" of the web site from which you are trying to open the PDF. If it's High, rather than Medium, this could explain it.

There was a thread here recently on setting which of two versions of Acrobat (full version vs. newer reader) should open when a link is clicked, but I don't remember the answer. Maybe there wasn't a final answer...

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

The first thing to clarify is the ActiveX settings. Move the site into your Trusted sites zone to make sure.

Thanks

I thought I posed a reply, but don't see it. As suggested, I checked the trusted sites and ActiveX issues, but no change I made fixed the problem. You suggested something to me by referencing the thread about Reader 6 and Acrobat 5. Thinking it wasn't working anyway, I would go ahead and install Reader 6. This must have reset the Active X controls because it now works, although 5 starts in IE and not 6, which is just fine with me. I'd rather have the full version start anyway. It's strange behavior, but whatever.

Thx.

-Rich Belthoff