4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Compatibility Options in Word (XP SP-2)

I remember seeing a macro that would tell you what the (Tools -Options) compatibility options are set for (Word 2000, 2002, Custom, etc.). Does anyone have that macro on hand?

Thanks,
    Becky

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Compatibility Options in Word (XP SP-2)

You can test for individual compatability settings using the Document object's Compatibility property. For example:

? ActiveDocument.Compatibility(wdAlignTablesRowByRow )
    True
    ? ActiveDocument.Compatibility(wdApplyBreakingRules)
    False

In Word 2002 the WdCompatibility Enum enumerates 48 constants (first 2 shown above). There does not seem to be any obvious way to determine which "recommended options" are checked under the Tools Options dialog's Compatibility tab for MS Word 97, Word 2000, etc, using properties & methods available in VBA (obviously Word saves this information somewhere internally). Depending on why you need to know this information, it may be more useful to check which version of Word is being used:

? Application.Version
    ? Application.Build

then test the individual Compatibility settings which may be relevant. Keep in mind that Compatibility options are set on a per-document basis. The Document object OptimizeForWord97 property may or may not be useful. Simple example:

Public Sub TestWord97Format()

If Application.Version = "8.0" Then ' 8.0 = Word 97
    If ActiveDocument.OptimizeForWord97 = False Then
    ActiveDocument.OptimizeForWord97 = True
    End If
    End If

End Sub

Setting OptimizeForWord97 to True will result in selected items being checked in the "Recommended options" list for MS Word 97.

HTH

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Compatibility Options in Word (XP SP-2)

The setting for OptimizeForWord97 must have been what I saw in the past. I knew I'd seen something, so I guess I can't get there from here very easily. We have a lot old documents in our system, and I wanted a way to let users know that it is an old document. I could write a macro (stealing your first idea) that would let them know just that the compatibility is not set to 2002.

Thank you so much!
    Becky