Star Lounger
    Thanks

Table Cross Reference (Word 2002 (Office XP))

I have a table which has to be placed at the end of a document, and am wondering if there's any way to caption it, keeping the captions in order? It's table 3 in a document with 15 tables, and when I move it to the end, all the captions renumber with it as Table 15 and what was Table 4 as Table 3, etc. I tried a caption between 2 and 4, but can't find a way to hide it that allows the cross-reference to print (e.g., when I format it hidden, the cross-reference disappears, when I turn the caption white, the cross-reference prints white. Ideally, I'd also like to refer to the page Table 3 actually starts on in another cross-reference.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Table Cross Reference (Word 2002 (Office XP))

Hi Pat:
    Word renumbers captions so that tables, etc. with captions will be in sequence. If you have already numbered your tables & wish those numbers to remain the same no matter where they are moved to, you have two options:

1. Select all the table captions (or everything, if you have no other fields that you wish to update) & press Ctrl+F11. This will lock the fields to prevent them from being updated when you move the tables, along with their captions. If you change your mind later, you can unlock the fields (Ctrl+Shift+F11) & update the fields (F9).

2. Select all the table captions & press Ctrl+Shift+F9. This will convert the fields to hard numbers. However, if you later change your mind, you won't be able to reverse the process.

Hope this helps,

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Re: Table Cross Reference (Word 2002 (Office XP))

Hi Pat,

You might be able to work around the problem by inserting an empty table at the position you want and captioning that instead. If you format the table with a 1pt font and no leading/trailing space, it would hardly be noticed. Even the minimal evidence that leaves could be overcome by placing white, borderless rectangle over the caption text.

Cheers
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]