New Lounger
    Thanks

PageFile problem (WIndows XP)

Can anyone help. Recently my XP machine has developed a problem when booting. As you select the user ID it hangs, (usually: Sometimes gives an error message). It can be prompted by pressing Alt Tab. Then there is an error message about not being able to create the page file. In all respects this seems to be the same as the problem described in the MS Knowledge base under Article 315270. Unfortunately, the solution offered there has not solved it.
    When selecting the user ID, a brief beep is emitted from the PC box, presumably indicating the error, but I can't find any log files where the an error message may be being put. Is there one, or a way to turn on logging to help fix the problem.
    The only partial solution I have managed to get is to turn off the pagefile. I have fitted more RAM which has speeded up boot up and shut down quite considerably.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: PageFile problem (WIndows XP)

How full is your hard drive?
    What are your settings on the size of the Swapfile?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks

It did get quite full <100M free at one time, but after removing many game demos that my sons install it now has around 13G free. I have tried various pagefile settings; System managed, min and max both at 1G, min at just over RAM size, max at 1.5X RAM size ... None seem to solve the problem. If I run Norton Utilities SpeedDisk analyser, I now notice that two large sections are shown in red, (files that can't be moved), that I'm sure were not there before. The pagefile is supposed to be shown in another colour.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

You will find the if you allow Windows to control the page file you will be better off. I have found that a lot of people have messed up their machine by trying to come up with settings that are better than Windows does.

Red is Unmovable files and Orange is the page file in my copy of Norton's 2004 on a NTFS system. You have to look real close to see the difference of these colors. Also since the size of your swap file is large, it could be split into 2 major pieces and even splattered in several other places.

Try resetting the pagefile to allow windows to control it. You may need to reboot several times to see any difference.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried letting windows manage the pagefile. but as far as I can tell, it does not create one, but hangs. (Though if I try to change the settings later, it reports that a temporary pagefile has been created). If I remember correctly, the pagefile should be visible in the root directory if you turn on view hidden and/or system files. I certainly can't see any sign of a pagefile being present, though I'm sure that I can see it on my work PC. I'm pretty convinced that it is not creating it.
    I haven't tried setting it to be managed by the system, and then rebooting a number of times. Is this what you meant to suggest.
    Before the problem started it was set to system managed, and my son was said that he was getting messages to the effect that the pagefile was being increased to some enormous size (>1.5G) when playing some game or other. Prior to the problem, I had not seen any ned to try to change the settings.

Thanks

It sounds like the gamer in the family is eating up space.
    As Dave said, I would let the system manage the pagefile for now anyway. BUT,

Do you happen to have a second HD? If so, I would put the pagefile there and at a fixed size. You said you increased the RAM. To what size?
    At least 512 MB, I hope. More for large games.

The pagefile SHOULD show in the root folder ( pagefile.sys ) but may be badly fragged. Some defraggers will not touch the pagefile. You could try deleting it and letting the system create a new one, hopefully, less fragmented.

If you hit F8 when booting, you should be able to see the menu item to enable logging. Then a log file will be created to look into. Might be a hint there for troubleshooting.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!