Star Lounger
    Thanks

WinXP Home Install Problem (SP1 Ver 2002)

Hi, I'm trying to install WinXP Home Upgrade to a new hard drive. The drive was partitioned for NTFS using the Seagate Ontrack utility CD that came with the drive. After that, when I tried to boot to the WinXp Upgrade CD I got: "NTLDR is missing press Ctrl-Alt-Del to restart."

I changed BIOS startup sequence to 1)Floppy 2)CD 3)HDD. Windows CD booted and began installation, but stopped with: "Problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer... Session3_Initialization_failed Stop: 0x0000006F"

I'm using a very basic setup with P-4, AGP videocard and integrated sound & NIC. The drive hasn't been formatted yet. Shouldn't Windows Setup do that or is there something else I need to do and how do I get there if I can't even boot to a command prompt? THANKS! J

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: WinXP Home Install Problem (SP1 Ver 2002)

Thanks. I'll check that out. I'm upgrading from win98se. But this is a new HDD, so my plan was to install WinXP Home Upgrade from scratch and feed it a WIn98 Upgrade CD to meet the upgrade requirement. I suppose I could partition and format in FAT32 and even install Win98 first. But didn't think I'd need to do that.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

We've had some recent threads on this error message--I'll try to find them. Here's a KB--I understand you're upgrading--from what?

314057:"NTLDR Is Missing" Error Message When You Upgrade or Install Windows XP Over Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Millennium Edition

SMBP

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm very much against using hard drive preparation software from drive manufacturers, so it has been a long time since I've "experienced" the Seagate variety. Many of those products do special stuff to the drive that may cause conflicts later (or now, in your case, I dunno). If you have a Win98 boot floppy around somewhere, I believe I'd run FDISK on that drive and delete the "non-DOS" partition and start over. If you re-FDISK the drive as a FAT32 partition, format it with Win98 and then try booting from the XP CD, you should get the chance to change to NTFS at that time. Personally, I would stick with FAT32 unless there's some compelling reason to use NTFS.