New Lounger
    Thanks

Service Pack Install (Office XP)

I just installed Office XP and I cannot install Service Pack 1. I can use the Upgrade online to download, or I can download the entire file. Either way, after about 20 seconds the install fails, "Installation has failed" and offer to try again. No other error messages. I not found any threads or KB with this specific problem. I have recently installed Windows XP, Home, SP2 on a Dell P3 500 with 256 mb ram. Thanks.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Service Pack Install (Office XP)

Sandy--

Have you tried it from here (probably have)?

Office XP Update: Service Pack 1 (SP-1)

Are you getting any specific error message because there are several possible either on your desktop or if you have it on your OS when you look in Event Viewer (Eventvwr.msc in the run box under both services and applications at the time you attempted install?)

For the heck of it why don't you try running Detect and Repair and then installing it and if that doesn't work then try installing it in Safe Mode--sometimes in that more pristine environment the installer can function more successfully. Detect and Repair is invoked automatically when you install in maintainance mode which is the mode that you automatically use after you have installed Office XP the first time--but it is "forced" sounds bad but isn't to run as a command from Help on the Office toolbar. See:

Post 313024: Detect and Repair Reference Links

SMBP

New Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I tried that and it did lead to further information. Event Viewer (error 1328) got me to look at the version number of my Office install. Turns out my install included the updates (1 and 2) already. So my problem is not a problem. Interesting how online update does not detect the update status when it scans my system, which means I can not use the online update.
    thanks for the suggestions
    Sandy

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Sandy,

Do you have the Access 2002 runtime update selected? That will cause the entire update to fail consistently, at least on my two machines. Unchecking that allows the rest of the update to proceed normally.
    Charlotte

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Sandy--

I know there have been similar problems with Windows Update because KB's reference it and so does the Windows Update Troubleshooter. But as to that Update scanner on the Office site, I don't know a lot about its accuracy or details. What I do, is search for "Office Updates" using Google or any search engine, and you can find a number of websites that list hyperlinks to KB's with download links. I'll put one up if I can find it--I have some saved--or you can use the Security Site and put in your version of Office Component:

Office XP Administrative Updates Complete List

Microsoft Security Bulletin Search

You may want to take a look at this:

Office Update Inventory Tool 2.0 Checks Installations for Updated Status

[i]The Office Update Inventory Tool version 2.0 enables administrators to check one or more computers in their organization for the status of Microsoft

New Lounger
    Thanks

No, but thanks for the suggestion. Per my post above, this did not turn out to be the problem. I did have a problem with Access not installing properly when I upgraded to Access 2002 previously. That left me with Access working but none of the Wizards would work! Irritating but not fatal. Ultimately I upgraded with a clean install of XP and installed Office XP Professional, which solved many problems, including the non functioning wizards. My conclusion is (already stated many times elsewhere) is that upgrades are sometimes easier and more convenient, but in the long run a clean install is the only way to go. Another example of Microsoft marketing exceeding their technical capacity.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the useful links. I also prefer the downloaded admiintrative updates for Office at least. I haven't had any problems with Windows online updates . . . so far.
    Sandy