Star Lounger
    Thanks

Strange user permission level problem

Hi folks,

I have a friend, an accountant, running Win2K. He has an admin account and his regular Power User account, and his programs are available under both accounts. The other day, he installed a cable modem (via USB, but I don't think that makes any difference), and then all of a sudden, he started having problems getting into his programs. The message he gets is, "The application failed to initialize (xxx000bgdwhatever)".

I came in and found that under the administrator account, everything works fine; so I figured his user profile somehow got corrupted and set up a new power user. Same problem. I then set up a brand new user and gave it admin privileges, and it worked fine; then took away admin and reverted to power user, and got the initialization errors again.

I'm thinking now that it might indicate some virus activity, but did a prelim scan and came up with nothing. I checked the registry for any strange startup programs, but saw nothing unusual.

Does anyone have any idea what might be going on?

Thanks for your help,

Charlie T.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: Strange user permission level problem

Charlie, Seems more like a permissions problem. Check the security permissions for all groups on C:, on the Program Files diurectory, on the Win2k installation directory, & the My Documents directory.

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Strange user permission level problem

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I checked all the permissions, and everything looked fine as far as top-level settings were concerned. I then found a site which suggested to run CACLS and give read permission on all dll's and ocx's within the systemrootsystem32 directory, and that did the trick.

I can't figure out how those permissions got stripped off in the first place, but that's water under the bridge now. :-)

Charlie T.