Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1. #1
    Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    78
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Strange user permission level problem

    Hi folks,

    I have a friend, an accountant, running Win2K. He has an admin account and his regular Power User account, and his programs are available under both accounts. The other day, he installed a cable modem (via USB, but I don't think that makes any difference), and then all of a sudden, he started having problems getting into his programs. The message he gets is, "The application failed to initialize (xxx000bgdwhatever)".

    I came in and found that under the administrator account, everything works fine; so I figured his user profile somehow got corrupted and set up a new power user. Same problem. I then set up a brand new user and gave it admin privileges, and it worked fine; then took away admin and reverted to power user, and got the initialization errors again.

    I'm thinking now that it might indicate some virus activity, but did a prelim scan and came up with nothing. I checked the registry for any strange startup programs, but saw nothing unusual.

    Does anyone have any idea what might be going on?

    Thanks for your help,

    Charlie T.

  2. #2
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    23,594
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

    Re: Strange user permission level problem

    Charlie, Seems more like a permissions problem. Check the security permissions for all groups on C:, on the Program Files diurectory, on the Win2k installation directory, & the My Documents directory.

    Joe
    Joe

  3. #3
    Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    78
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Strange user permission level problem

    Hi,

    Thanks for your reply. I checked all the permissions, and everything looked fine as far as top-level settings were concerned. I then found a site which suggested to run CACLS and give read permission on all dll's and ocx's within the systemrootsystem32 directory, and that did the trick.

    I can't figure out how those permissions got stripped off in the first place, but that's water under the bridge now. :-)

    Charlie T.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •