New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows XP Hangs (XP Professional-5.1.2600)

Problem Description: When in an application and file open is selected, the "Open Window" appears as it should. Now when I click to change directory in the "Look In:" the application Hangs and "Open Not Responding" appears in the title bar of the window. It will eventually respond as it should after about a minute or so. However if I click on close window (x) a Not Responding appears and can end the task, takes 3 or four clicks on the (x) to final shut down the program. I first noticed this in Word but evently in occured in Access and non Office Applications.
    Problem Area: File System: Other
    Frequency of problem: Always Happens
    Operating system / version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional - 5.1.2600
    Computer manufacturer and model: Gateway , E-4600
    Processor model and speed: , 1496 MHz
    Memory (RAM): 523.568 MB

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows XP Hangs (XP Professional-5.1.2600)

Lots of questions, like do you have a virus checker installed and up to date; do you have any "spyware" detection software installed and recently run? But first, is this computer on a network? Open Windows Explorer, Tools, Folder Options, View and make sure there is not a checkmark in the box for "Automatically search for network....." Please post back. If you are on a network, is it possible that you accessed a file somewhere on the network, so the MRU is trying to find "recently used" files?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Yes to network. Home Wireless Network, 2Wire Home Portal supplied by SBC Global. The computer with the problem is the one that connects to directly to the ADSL wireless modem via network card. Three other computers on network via wireless connection. Yes Norton AntiVirus and up to date. Yes Firewall via ISP Provider SBC Global. No to Spyware. Remove the automatically search for network....."No Difference"

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

OK, how 'bout this. Right-click My Computer and select Manage. Under Services and Applications, scroll down to Indexing and set it to either Manual or Disable by right-clicking and choosing Properties. Also, although I don't use this one, I think there's also some kind of indexing available in MS Office that I've seen people complaining about, but I don't know where to tell you to look for it - maybe in the list of installed stuff or possibly under options.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

In Office applications what <!profile=bigaldoc>bigaldoc<!/profile> is referring to is FindFast. Right-click on your TaskBar to bring up Task Manager, choose the Processes Tab and click at the top of the Image Name column to make it alphabetical. See if something called findfast.exe is running. If it is, highlight it, choose End Process and confirm that you want to close it down. If it really is there, post back and we can walk you through making sure it doesn't start up again. We have yet to hear of someone who has found FindFast to be of practical value. HTH
    Gre

New Lounger
    Thanks

Tried without indexing and still have the same problem. Fastfind not active. Have a new twist though......The open file will respond as it should if I wait for about one minute however when selcting another directory it hangs again for about a minute before it responds.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Didn't find anything with fast find. Have a new twist though......The open file will respond as it should if I wait for about one minute however when selcting another directory it hangs again for about a minute before it responds.