2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Customizing folders (XP home)

While working at home this weekend, I had trouble replicating the custom formatting of the file window of Windows Explorer for different folders on my XP. I'm running Win2K at work and use different background and font colors on folders whose contents are almost identical. These folders are mapped as drives from our intranet so the N:, O:, & P: in the title bar is of little use.

I'm using these folders to manage our document control system for ISO9000. One is for WIP (work-in-progress - unapproved documents), the second is for documents in the approval process (new or revised but not formally approved), and the third is for approved documents only. I find it very easy to know with certainty that when I move a document from one location to another that it going from the right place to the right place by using different backgrounds and font colors as a que.

Unfortunately, when I brought these folders home, I was disappointed to learn that XP could no longer provide this option.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Customizing folders (XP home)

You can customize any of your folders by creating and editing hidden system file DESKTOP.INI in the folder you want to change.

For more information:

Customizing Folders with Desktop.ini

Configuring Windows Explorer - desktop.ini

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Customizing folders (XP home)

Zeno--

This may be superficial because I don't know whether you want to color the folders possibly as a way of distinguishing them, and you can find programs like Iconoid that will color fonts and font backgrounds and more sophisticated ways that were suggested but here is a free program to color and customize them to some degree:

Rainbow Folders

SMBP