Thread: Install Failure

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Install Failure

I have a friend who's clone PC was running WinME on a 4 GB hard drive. She's had continual problems with it, so I decided to drop a larger hard drive in it and install Win2K. When I first tried the install, DXDIAG.EXE and NTOSKRNL.EXE both failed to copy, according to the installation screens. And sure enough, the PC wouldn't load Win2K after the install proceeded. I tried running the install twice more, and now it blows up with a STOP error about NTOSKRNL.EXE. Does this indicate any particular problem?

Banned Member
    Thanks

Re: Install Failure

Can you give us the exact Stop error, because there are more then one of these about NTOSKRNL.EXE

From what I am seeing about most of those errors is that you will need to copy NTOSKRNL.EXE off of the installation CD onto the %systemroot%/system32 directory. But like I said we really need the exact error.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Install Failure

Well, when I tried to run the install again, this time it ran through the "copy files to install directory" without an error on NTOSKRNL.EXE. But it hung when it got to the "search for devices" GUI part--and I mean a complete hang. So I powered the PC down, then on restart got a display that Windows was going to finish the setup. But within a few seconds of that, I got:

*** STOP: 0x0000000A (0x00000138, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0x80414FD7)
    IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    *** Address 80414FD7 base at 804000000, DateStamp 3ad7ad60 -- ntoskrnl.exe