Thanks

Close only one spreadsheet of many open (2002 SP-2)

When I have more than one spreadsheet open and I click the large Close button (not the small one that pertains only to the spreadsheet that I am looking at), Excel closes all the spreadsheets. This differs from how Word does it. When I have more than one Word document open and I click the large Close button (not the small one that pertains only to the document that I am looking at), Word closes only the one document and leaves the others open. How can I get Excel to act as Word does when I click the large Close button?
    Bill Meacham
    bmeacham98 AT yahoo.com

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Close only one spreadsheet of many open (2002 SP-2)

Excel doesn't go as far as Word in faking a single-document interface. I don't think it 'll be easy to make Excel behave like Word, there is no Before Quit event or something like that (but I'll gladly be proved wrong by the experts!)

Personally, I find Word's behavior very annoying, I prefer that of Excel - it makes sense to click the close button of a workbook to close that workbook, and to click the close button of Excel to quit Excel. Why have two buttons with the same function, as in Word?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Word 2002 can be changed, see:

http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Customization/SDIMDI.htm

I don't know if Romke Soldaat's code to change Word 2000 is still available, it doesn't show on his own website.

I also thought I had read that registry hacks were available to change between MDI & SDI, but I can't find anything.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I don't know which version Word you are using but I have 2002 SP-2 and if I click the large close button Word closes, no matter how many documents I have open. To disable the annoying MDI, and remove those multiple icons from the task bar, uncheck the 'Windows in Taskbar' option in the 'View' tab of the options menu.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Hmm, very strange. I had unchecked "Windows in Taskbar" for this very reason, and recently noticed that clicking the upper Close button didn't quit Word. Guess what? "Windows in Taskbar" was checked again! I'm sure I didn't do that myself, because I don't like the "new" behavior. Oh, well. Thanks for reminding me to look at this option again. I unchecked it immediately, of course. Let's see how long it stays that way...