2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Last line visible in Window (2000/XP)

Anybody know how to get the line number for the last line visible in the current window?

Thanks

Re: Last line visible in Window (2000/XP)

I'm not not aware of a convenient way to set a range over the currently displayed portion of a document. The Window/Pane/View objects don't, as far as I can tell, have a precise way to identify that portion of the document. If your scenario allows for movement of the insertion point, Ctrl+Alt+PgDn (or its VBA equivalent) should locate your insertion point in the last line that fully fits (vertically) on the screen (it's a bit imprecise for tables, unfortunately, but should work for normal paragraphs). You then should be able to use the Selection.Information(wdConstantWhoseNameIDidn'tLookUp) property to get the line number.

Okay, I recorded a macro for Ctrl+Alt+PgDn and got this:

Selection.EndKey Unit:=wdWindow

However, when I try to run it, I get a run-time error (4120) "bad parameter." So this is going to take further research. Good luck, and please post the solution if you find one.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I've resumed my research into this subject. So far, I've found that the wdWindow constant only seems to work with the Selection.MoveDown and Selection.MoveUp methods. I guess the macro recorder got it wrong.

Unfortunately, for my purposes, I can't move the cursor out from under the user in order to find the last line of text in the window. One thing I'm trying to accomplish is something like this

if the cursor is three lines from the bottom of the window then
    scroll down half a screen

More generally, it would be nice to be able to have a LastLineInWindow() function.

I'm going to continue looking into this, but if anybody's got further ideas, please let me know.

Dan

Thanks

In a somewhat similar thread on the VBA board, I used SendKeys to go to the current top line on the screen. It's not pretty or necessarily reliable, but... you might be able to borrow some of that: <post#=319047>post 319047</post#>.