Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

new window not opening (6.0 SP1)

I have recently begun to have problems with sites that open new windows. for example, when i go to my bank site and click on the icon for the internet banking screen, I see a new Explorer button on my task bar but the window never opens. If I click on the button, the current window is still totally visible but becomes inactive. I've seen the same thing on sites such a real estate agents where the photos etc., don't come up, just an empty transparent pane. I don't know whether it means anything, but the explorer icon on the task bar for these 'invisible' windows is shaded light blue compared with the normal icon that is a blue 'e' on a white background.

I'm running W98 and haven't added any new software recently and am pretty well up to date with MS updates. (Maybe it's one of them)

Thanks

Thanks

Re: new window not opening (6.0 SP1)

Do you have any software that blocks pop-up ads?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No. I still seem to get the 'unprompted' pop ups, it's the ones that I do want that don't work.

A bit more information.

If I right click on a standard link (one that I know will open normally) and select open in a new window I get the empty frame.

Thanks

I know it sounds like superstition, but clearing the cache (Temporary Internet Files) is all that comes to mind.

Well the other thing that comes to mind is: does this happen after many hours of browsing? Maybe IE is running out of system resources somehow.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Isn't this one of the problems that can be fixed by re-registering some of the DLL's for IE??
    GIve me some time to investigate this...

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Since first posting, I've cleared the temp internet files and have re-registered the dlls and checked the register entries (they were ok) as per the MS KB article 281679.

The problem continues and happens whenever I use IE regardless of how long the PC has been turned on and whether there are any other applications running.

I'm about to take the final step and uninstall and reinstall. I can only locate a disc for v4.0 for W95, NT and Workstation. Can I use it to reinstall (I'm running W98) and then upgrade to v6.0 via the web??

Thanks again

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I was going to recommend that KB article. The article has two lists of DLL's -- but strangly, the lists are not the same! Did you register all the DLL's?

Url.dll
    Urlmon.dll
    Mshtml.dll
    Actxprxy.dll
    Shdocvw.dll
    Msjava.dll
    Oleaut32.dll
    Browseui.dll
    Shell32.dll
    (Shdoclc.dll - not listed, but why not re-register it to make sure!)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have done my best to uninstall IE6 and have run the install from my IE4 disk. Still no joy. In the end I have given up (for the moment at any rate) and decided to install Netscape. At least I've been able to get onto my bank website and pay some bills.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

R2--

I was having trouble getting the Live Meeting download installed to work for a webcast from Microsoft and the problem turned out to be my software firewall--taking a router out of the equation--the software firewall. It was only letting in part of an adjuvant that Microsoft uses as part of Live Meeting from Placeware. During the troubleshooting with Microsoft we went through the usual suspects, Active X firewalls, and clearing Temporary Internet Files (cache) both remarking that sometimes solves a number of problems and the MS tech said you had to close all IE windows to do this. You could do it manually, so I'm not sure this is true. Any thoughts on this?

SMBP

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Joe--

When you get a chance--sometimes this can help--take a look at the size of your cache. A lot of people minimize this when they are on BB connections (have no idea if you are) but anyway they do it to save HD real estate. Make sure you have at least 100MB or a little more allocated for cache and see if this helps at all.

SMBP

Thanks

> It was only letting in part of an adjuvant that Microsoft uses as part of Live Meeting from Placeware.

"Adjuvant"? Methinks the spellchecker has taken some liberties with your text...

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

What's a spellchecker? I try to use words as uncomplicated as possible so at least I can understand them. This one sprang to mind. I could have used a better word I suppose. It just came to mind in the context they use it--the Live Meeting that they use for those live webcasts is obviously not the full program they are selling but it is distinguished from getting a webcast from the archives.

I meant to use adjuvant as a "helper" or anything that enhances the properties of an object-- because while I can't parse the download entirely the way it was explained to me is that this helper I called an adjunvant is a component of the software used to help make Live Meeting work to get the webcasts. As you know, MS bought Live Meeting when they bought Placeware recently (Live Conference Center is what Placeware called it) too late to bundle into MOS 2003.

I wanted to pose this question to both you and R2--have you made it a point to close all IE Windows when you click clean TIF? I wasn't aware it was necessary and I've been testing and sometimes they all go and sometimes you have to go back and get them manually. The microsoft tech support insisted you had to close all browser windows to do this--and I'd never heard this before or seen it. I'm sure some people just view them and select all and shift +delete them away.

Ed. SMBP: That program installed and called Live Meeting in Add/Remove is actually a helping program that Live Meeting needs to work they call Quicksilver--I imagine the rest of the software is supplied with the interaction on the site--I feel sure after looking over the Live Meeting links not to stray too far off the problem of Joe's being able to load windows from his bank and other sites--the full program with all its functionality is a lot more substantial than what they are giving you free to view and interact with their live webcasts--I know they are pitching it as a convenient way to long distance conference supported by Office to save travel expenses.

SMBP
    Attached Images Attached Images

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

My reaction to "adjuvant" (this is a link to the M-W dictionary entry) was somewhat the same as Jefferson's. I'd never heard of the word and thought it might be a misspelling - even though I have a degree in English. Speaking fluent French and 6 years of studying Latin did mean that I could work out what you were talking about. It's a good choice of words. To me, the phrasing of <post#=314052>post 314052</post#> reads like a friendly joke.
    Gre

Thanks

I associate the word adjuvant with skin replenishment creams or something in that category; seemed quite odd in the context of an ActiveX control. But I digress.

> have you made it a point to close all IE Windows when you click clean TIF?

To my knowledge, I have never intentionally cleared my cache in the entire time I've used a web browser (starting with Netscape 2.12). Never had the need.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I can't be 100% sure but I think I was trying to say that Quicksilver is not the whole program the facilitates Live Meeting for webcasts from Microsoft's event hyperlink for them. And as in many cases, the guy who explained it to me didn't have a developer's grasp of that program although he helped me get the job done just fine--getting it in when my firewall was in the way. The firewall was the last thing we thought of behind active X, or a Sun Java script Microsoft VM conflict-- but it should have been one of my first reflexes. So I reached probably for adjunct and came up with a similar term but you're right it is an odd use in computer terms. It probably represents a need to run SFC in my frontal lobe and clear out some cobwebs.

Most of the time when you see it adjuvant is a medical term--hence your skin cream reference--used by oncologists as anxillary therapy or immunologists when they want to say some substance enhances immune stimulating properties of an antigen or a drug or people who are doing trials of different therapy.

I was probably reaching for adjunct and came up with adjuvant from the wrong cobweb. I should have tried harder to indicate it was a smaller but important helper component to let Live Meeting work, and what I wonder is what the big differences in the full panopoly of the real Live Meeting and this "baby brother" watered down version for webcasts are.

I always viewed cleaning cache as a non-specific catchall you reach for to solve a number of browser problems--kind of a shot-gun approach--and honestly will reach for it when I see web pages taking longer to load and resources are high but we both know a number of things you more than I that can cause that. Hard to believe you never see the need to clean your cache. Maybe I'm misperceiving it. I'm sure that when web pages are slow many people--I know I'm guilty--may blame the wrong thing.

SMBP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast