Lounger
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

WinExplorerBug (Vers5.1)

Background: I have Windows XP Pro on a small office network "Vers 5.1 Build 2600.xpsp2.030422-1633: Service Pack 1". I have drives mapped between computers for ease of access and backup programs to run (UNC does not seem to work). I also have an HP LJ 3330 printer connected.

Problem: Windows Explorer crashes and returns to Desktop screen when attempting to access folders beyond a certain depth on either mapped or local drives. M$ talk about a problem with a Canon Printer driver but no other reference to this - any thoughts/ideas/knowledge. I can't find any reference to this problem or a solution

Thanks

Re: WinExplorerBug (Vers5.1)

I think there is a limit to the maximum length of a path, but I don't know what it is. Can you spot a pattern with this? Does it involve extremely long folder names?

Lounger
    Thanks

There is definitely some connection to path depth, but it does not seem to be related to path name length. The actual depth at which this happens varies so perhaps an issue of overall path length.

Interestingly, this never happens on a PC that is not connected via the Windows peer-peer network, so it is definitely related to networking.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts

Are these new PCs or upgraded to XP from a prior OS? You also said in your original post that it happens on network or local files. Does this mean that if you remove the PC from the network and access a local file that previously caused an abort you can access it ok?

Joe
    Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Remember that the "computer name" is added to the full path. Check for the "255" character limit.

Also remember that a CD has about 150 charcter limit, so if you are using a CD for backup this may be you problem.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Lounger
    Thanks

To the question of new pc's, yes they are Dell PC's pre-installed with Win XP Pro. As for the name length, I'm nowhere near 255 chars and in anycase, I duplicate the directory structure on another PC by transferring the whole thing via a CD-RW to that machine and it has no problems with the directory depth or names. In fact as I think about that, that PC (at a client site) is also networked with mapped drives and HP Printers, so its unique to my office with just two networked Dell PC's, and the HP LJ3330.

So, don't think its about local v networked per se, but perhaps it is related to specific drivers in my configuration. Guess I need to try uninstalling the HP LJ3330 and finding out if that makes a difference as the only MS Knowledgebase reference to this sort of error refers to a specific Canon Printer driver in a similar configuration!

Banned Member
    Thanks

Question. Have you tried disconnecting the HP LJ3330 Printer and removing it from Device Manager, and then trying to access one of the files you are talking about? If you do that, and then are able to access those files, then you will know it is a Printer Related Problem.

Lounger
    Thanks

Just tried that and it made no difference, so perhaps not the printer - thanks for that idea.

Banned Member
    Thanks

Have you tried Logging in as a different user or creating a new user and seeing what happens. Are you logged in as Admin or user with Admin rights?

Lounger
    Thanks

Logged in as a user with Admin rights. The problem occurs on both machines which are two different users. I have just tried creating another admin account and switching user, and the problem does not exist (although it can sometimes be sporadic so I can't be absolutely sure) - so that gives useful information and at least a way of testing the problem. Of course some software is not available/configured for a new user (eg Office 2000) so as I add those to a new user it would be interesting to see what might bring about the problem. Clearly this will take me some time to explore. Thanks

Lounger
    Thanks

OK I'm sure I've tried this before, but ... The directory structure is in Shared Documents. If I access this via the shared name from "My Network Places" then the crash will occur, but if I access this via "My Computer"-->"Documents" then the crash does not occur. Anyone got any ideas about this? Would be nice to make some sense of it.

Banned Member
    Thanks

Sounds like a corrupted user account to me.