Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Understanding a form (XP)

Picture three tables: tblStudents, tblCourses, and tblStudentCourses. The third one is a junction table that stores the courses that each student has completed. Now picture a tabbed form. The first tab displays student information (name, payroll ID, etc.). The next tab has a subform to display a list of courses the student has completed and the date of completion. I want to put an "Add..." button in the form footer area. This button will launch a pop-up form with all the available courses listed. I would double-click on the course I want to add to the student's "completed" list (or select the course and click on "Add"). At that point, the pop-up form would close and the selected course would appear in the list of completed courses, with today's date as the completion date.

How does the course get added to the student's list of completed courses? I'm pretty sure I need to do some hocus-pocus in the VB Editor, but I don't know how to approach it. Can anyone help? Thanx!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Understanding a form (XP)

You can do this without VBA and without popup forms.

1. Use a combo box with tblCourses as Row Source to display the course in the subform. This means that the user can select the course from the list part of the combo box.

2. Set the Default Value of the date of completion field to =Date(). Today's date will automatically be filled in for new records, but it can still be changed if necessary.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Understanding a form (XP)

Well, that's certainly the simple approach, and given my limited programming skills, it's probably the best choice for the short term. I asked about the pop-up forms and all that because an off-the-shelf product we now use employs those tricks. The product works pretty well, but we've had trouble customizing it to meet our needs and we've had trouble getting it to work at all some days on our LAN. So I've taken on the job of building our own application from the ground up with MS-Access. I'm trying to duplicate some of the functionality of the existing application, but I don't think anyone will object to using simpler techniques, such as you suggest.

Thanks for the help, Hans!