4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Linking to Excel (2000/SR1)

I'm just starting to experiment. We have a massive Excel Spreadsheet, that contains all the formulas for the products that we make. I want to set up a database to track quality control, so I want to link to the Excel spreadsheet, so that I always have a current product listing. I am running into a couple of problems.

1. For some reason, when I link to the spreadsheet, some of the fields are not being picked up correctly, mainly the number fields. When I import the spreadsheet, these fields come across fine. What's the difference?

2. When I link to the spreadsheet, I can't have the spreadsheet open and the database table open at the same time. This won't work, as we will need access to both.

I'm sure I will run into other problems, like I said, I'm just kind of experimenting, to see if this is going to work. Thanks for your help.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Linking to Excel (2000/SR1)

1. Make sure that Access can determine the data type for each field from the first few records in the linked table.

2. In what sense can't you open the linked table and "the" database table at the same time? Do you get an error message, or ...?

3. Please note that only one person at a time will be able to open the linked table - see <post#=313613>post 313613</post#>.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Linking to Excel (2000/SR1)

Thanks Hans, I appreciate the information.

When I have the linked table open in Access, then try to open the spreadsheet in Excel, I get the following error:
    Cannot Access FileName.xls

When I have the spreadsheet open and then try to open the table in Access it opens up fine.

Also, I would need to have multiple people be able to access the table, so I may need to rethink my approach here. Thanks for your help.