Lounger
    Thanks

Non-editable form (2000)

Hi!

Is there a way to create a form (an application form to be exact) which will be e-mailed to the applicant - the applicant fills in his information, but does not have the ability to edit the form itself? Is it possible?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Non-editable form (2000)

My experience...limited though it is...is that a password protected form can work. The difficulty lies in 'error-trapping.' If you think a field requires two lines, say, but your applicant types a novelette, then the form comes back fully completed but not how you expected it to look.

Spell checking is also disabled for all field entries. Several work-arounds, but no really clever ones.

Good luck.

Lounger
    Thanks

I was going to do this form in a simple Word tables with fixed rows and columns so as limit the amount of text the person is able to put in. Do you mean that I would have to do this form using Visual Basics? I took this in college but never used it. I guess in order to put a password on the form I would have to use Visual Basics? Yipes! I have to have this done by tomorrow. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

No VB will be needed. Display the Forms toolbar (View>Toolbars>Forms) and insert a textbox field where you want the user to input. When you're done, click the lock button on the toolbar and Word will switch from "design" mode to "form entry" mode (these are not their real names, I'm sure...). Note that each time you switch, Word will clear the boxes. To avoid that you do have to use some VB code, but it's quite brief.

Anyway, to prevent the recipient from returning to design mode, choose Tools>Protect Document... and protect "for forms" with a password.

Realize this is cryptic. Hope it helps.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you so much! You're a life-saver! Haven't tried what you suggested yet, but hopefully it will work. It seems simple enough (hopefully). I'll keep you "posted".

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Marilyn:
    First, creating a password protected form does not require VBA. When you go to Tools/Protect Document..., a dialog box opens. You can check the radio button for forms & the dialog box also has a place to put in a password.

The issue about limiting what a user can write in a form has been brought up before. There is no 100% satisfactory solution. You can limit a formfield to a certain number of characters (using formfield options), but an "m" takes up more space than an "i", so it either comes up short or long. You can prevent the table cells from expanding, as you plan. However, this doesn't prevent the user from typing more than is visible. The information is still in Word, you just can't see it. It does allow you the ability to unprotect the completed form & change the row height so that you can read more than what's immediately visible.
    Hope this helps,

Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you so much!