Kate Garlick

Autofit Row height

I am dealing with a spreadsheet that has some rows in bold. When the rows are formatted for autofit they only go high enough to display the text if it wasn't bold. It ignores the fact the text is in bold (arial font). I have pasted formats from other cells, cleared the contents and then deleted the rows, all to no avail. Can anybody help?

Thanks

Re: Autofit Row height

Running Word 2K on W2K SP1 here - I only mention that as fonts do appear to be updated on occassion.

Looking at some type at 72pt so I can get a better visual feedback, there does not appear to be any change in the height of the font when formatted bold. Width, yes.

Are you saying the font is actually growing in height?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: gif x.gif (4.2 KB, 0 views)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have tried this in Excel - changing 10-pt arial text to bold has no effect (row height stays at 12.75).

However, changing 10-pt arial text to 12-pt takes the RowHeight to 15. Bolding the text then changes it to 15.75!

Not sure what the rule is here.

Jeremy

Kate Garlick

Actually it is in Office 97 (sorry I didn't say earlier). The font is only size 10 but there are several words (over 414 characters) but the column width needs to be 50. The font is slightly larger when it is formatted to be bold. In 100% view all the text can be viewed but in 60% view the last line is missing. Any ideas?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, now I'm confused!

Is it the RowHeight or ColumnWidth that is causing you a problem? Do you have all the text within one cell and WrapText set on in that cell so you can see the text wrap round onto several lines or are you trying to achieve something different?

(I have office 97 too BTW)

Jeremy

Thanks

This sounds more like a WYSISWG problem. Are you saying the text appears to fit in one zoom level, but not in another?
    I frequently find text appears to over-run a cell (and covering data in the next cell) when viewed at certain zoom levels in 'edit' mode, but Print Preview and a printout itself do not show an over-run.

I have also found that the vertical positioning of some fonts - Arial in particular - to not match what is seen on the screen with what is printed out. You might try using another font other than Arial, or maybe a bolder font such as Arial Black, give better results.

Kate Garlick

I am sorry it has taken me so long to reply. I have tried many things that have been suggested and the only thing that actually got the rows to properly autofit to display the whole of the emboldened text was changing the font to Arial Black. How bizarre!