4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Open 2 Docs, Jumps to End of Buttons (2000)

I've recently "upgraded" from Office 97 to Office 2000 and I'm still dealing with all its annoying habits. (Not much of an upgrade in my mind but work will not let me go back.) Anyway, one major problem was Word's new habbit of opening each document in a separate copy of itself. I downloaded a template suggested here that stopped that behavior. However, Word still does something strange that is driving me nuts.

When I open a second document in Word, it moves its button from its current position in the list of buttons beside the Start button (don't know what this area is called) to the last position! Ever since Win 95, I've always opened my programs in a specific order (Word, Excel, Mozilla, and Eudora) so the buttons were in the same order and now Word screws that up behind my back. If I could get my hands on the person who screwed up Word so badly, I'd make him/her regret it.

Anyway, is there any way to stop this behavior other than sneaking behind IT's back and going back to Office 97?

Ronny
    Ronny Richardson

Thanks

Re: Open 2 Docs, Jumps to End of Buttons (2000)

I think the moving button could be related to the add-in. I use Word 2002 in its multi-taskbar-button configuration, and the first button keeps its place. And then Windows XP stacks the additional instances of Word behind that button. This is hard to explain but once you see it, you either think it rocks or another five letter word that ends with cks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Which version of Windows are you using? I suspect this is a combination of Word's behavior and the operating system.

Perhaps other Word 2000 users who installed Romke Soldaat's template (I assume that is what you did) can report what their experience is, with a mention of their Windows version.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm using Windows 98. That sounds like the template I copied to my computer. It does stop the multiple copies of Word and I need that as I sometimes have ten or more documents open and I hate having ten Word buttons at the bottom.

Ronny
    Ronny Richardson

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

There may be no way to avoid this behavior with Word 2000. Microsoft decided to provide only a (faked) single document interface for it, and the template uses a kludge to get around that; moving the Word button to the end is probably a side effect, as Jefferson pointed out. Word 2002 offers an option to display documents in the task bar separately, and doesn't have this problem.