3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Updating currency rates on the internet, how? (2000)

The short version: Is it possible get Excel to fetch the latest exchange rates from somewhere on the internet? How?

The long version: I have an expense claim sheet set up with nearly all the world's currencies (mind you, we only need about ten of them, but it's just as easy to use all 200+ as it is to do 10). It would be swell to have Excel get the currency exchange rates on line so they don't have to be input manually, but I haven't a clue if it can be done, let alone know how do it. It seems to me that it should be possible (using HYPERLINK some how). Is it?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Updating currency rates on the internet, how? (2000)

The short answer to the short version is Yes.

Excel allows you to build Web queries so that you can download data from the web.

If you goto Data, Get External Data you should see an option to Run Saved Query. Excel comes supplied with a number of demo queries, and you run one of them to get the idea. If you do not have a suitable query in your set up you can edit one of the demo queries. To do that select a cell from the returned demo data, and goto Data, Get Extenal Data and select Edit Query. In the text box for the Url you can enter the following url :

http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor...xcel/rates.asp

There may not be 200+ currencies but there are about 50 or so. You can search the web for other sites that may provide a more comprehensive list.

Andrew C

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Updating currency rates on the internet, how?

oanda has a pretty exhaustive database - although it may it may not be in the format that is required.
    Gre