5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Video Problems (WIN XP Home)

I am helping a friend with a GATEWAY 700C CTO system. This is a replacement system from Gateway that he has had about a year. He was running WIN 98 SE but was having all kinds of problems - system would not start, would freeze up, etc. So I upgraded him to WIN XP SE. Things seemed to be going OK but then had a problem with no picture on the monitor. I could tell the computer was starting up OK but just no picture. So I pulled the video card and replaced it. Voila - things seemed to be working OK. I was able to download the windows updates just fine. Now however, when I start the system, I get the initial WIN XP window, then the CHKDSK process starts (since I turn it off improperly) and when that finishes, the monitor goes black. I can hear the normal startup sounds from the speakers but no image on the monitor. Clearly, the operating system is working but I am getting no picture on the monitor after the initial WIN XP splash and the CHKDSK process. The system has 512 MB RIMM ram memory. Motherboard is an Intel (Monterrey) with a 1.8 Ghz processor. Open to any and all suggestions.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Video Problems (WIN XP Home)

Can you start in safe mode? Press F8 repeatedly after turning on the computer, until the boot menu appears. Use the arrow keys to select Start in Safe Mode, then press Enter.

In safe mode, only a minimum is loaded; for instance, a bare-bones VGA driver will be used instead of the installed video drivers, but you may be able to run diagnostics.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I am trying something else - the original video card was a Nvidia GE Force AGP - I replaced that with another AGP card. Now I have pulled the AGP card and put in a PCI video card. So far so good but probably way too soon to say.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans, as I said, I installed a PCI card and the system seemed to be working OK. But now however, when I start, I get the WIN XP splash window and then the monitor goes black. I can hear the sounds of WIN XP continuing to load but just get no picture on the monitor. I did go to SAFE MODE and am able to get there just fine. What diagnostics should I be running.
    The problem clearly seems to be video related but as I said, the original video card was an AGP, I replaced that one with another AGP which worked for a short time but then no picture. Then the PCI video card worked for awhile but now is not. Thanks for any and all help.