3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Normal.Dot (Word 2000)

Opening the Options dialog "Tools|Options" and selecting the "Save" tab I see there is a check box to select if the user gets prompt by word to Save the Normal.dot template.

I have noticed that I have been getting prompt for that lately where before I didn't get prompt and I don't remember setting that check box nor is it set on my other PC. Are there conditions where this check box would get set? Also does Word always save the Normal.dot template?

Is there a way to edit this checkbox via VBA code. I have tried application.Dialogs(wdDialogToolsOptionsSave).... but I do not know what to do to actually check or uncheck it.

Thanks

Re: Normal.Dot (Word 2000)

> Also does Word always save the Normal.dot template?

Only if it has been changed. If a global template changes the toolbars without paying very careful attention to context, those changes almost always are made to the Normal template. This is a common way for add-ins to cause this "problem." It's a problem because it makes people want to turn off that setting, which in turn makes them likely to miss malicious and unwanted changes to the Normal template.

> Is there a way to edit this checkbox via VBA code.

Look at the many properties of Options object and see if you can find it there. For security reasons, some options were purposely omitted from the Word object model (e.g., macro security level), but I don't know if this is one of them.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. Well one thing I have notice about Normal.dot is I will always get prompt to save it if I have the checkbox set regradless if I do anything or not. Try this experiment and see, make sure the option to get prompt to save Normal.dot is set and then close word and reopen it and then just close it without doing a thing and you will get prompt. This seems to be very odd.

Oh the code to set or unset the checkbox is dialogs.Application.Options.SaveNormalPrompt = True or False

Thanks

Jim, having Word change Normal.dot at startup is not default behavior, it probably is caused by an AutoExec macro in one of your add-ins or in Normal.dot itself.

You can save yourself an object by not starting your property assignment with "Dialogs" (Application is a higher level "parent" object of Dialogs, so this is somewhat like saying dir

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. Do you have an idea what type of commands or VB code would affect Normal.dot so that I am getting this save Normal prompt? Is there some general guidelines to avoid messing with Normal.dot or someway to set a flag saying Normal.dot does not need to be saved?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The instruction

Templates("Normal.dot").Saved = True

will tell VBA that Normal.dot has been saved already (even if it hasn't), so it doesn't need to bother.

Thanks

> Do you have an idea what type of commands or VB code would affect Normal.dot so that I am getting this save Normal prompt?

I gave the example of toolbars before. Another is changes to global options, such as whether to display the MRU (most recently used) files list.

Phil's star post on systematic resolution of bad behavior in Word should be your next stop if you want to track down the culprit.