New Lounger
    Thanks

Document Protection (Word 2002)

Does anyone know what flags are written, and where, to a Word Document Header when protection is turned on? I have an automated process that submits documents to PDF conversion process. When the document is protected AND a protection password is installed, a pop-up opens on the conversion server and causes corruption of the process queue. I can create filters on the process to skip files that have flags set at some identifiable point in the header if I can find out where those flags are written. Has anyone else run into this problem with ActivePDF(s) DocConverter? Does anyone know the location of the fProtEnabled flag?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Document Protection (Word 2002)

You can request a description from Microsoft: HOW TO: Obtain the Word Binary File Format (BFF) for Word Versions 2002, 2000, and 97.

Word documents are OLE documents; opening them as a binary file doesn't yield reliable results. You must use OLE API functions to read them.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Document Protection (Word 2002)

Thanks for your response to my post at Woody's Lounge. Unfortunately, the software package that I am trying to devise a filter for doesn't have pre-scripting ability. Additionally, the files are submitted from a Lotus container which may be hostile to any VB utility trying to run a pre-submit scan inside of it. This leaves the Binary Filter approach. I have written to Microsoft for the Binary Format, thanks for your lead in that area.