2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How to stop Outlook from sending delivery receipts (XP SP-2)

I have my options in Outlook set to "ask" me before sending read receipts, but I have not found a setting to control the sending of delivery receipts. The problem is that some of the idiot spammers (one of those words is redundant) are setting their junk mail to request read receipts and deletion notfication. Outlook is happily sending off mail to these fools without my say-so and I want to know how to stop it (assuming that this behaviour is not a mandatory "feature" in Microsoft's world). How I identified that this is happening is that a number of these emails bounce back from my SMTP server because the dolts who send this stuff have false email addresses and so their delivery receipts cannot even get to them (duh!!!).
    Apologies if this has been asked & answered before but without seach...
    Cheers
    Ian

Thanks

Re: How to stop Outlook from sending delivery receipts (XP SP-2)

Delivery receipts are handled by the mail server, not your mail client (or mail user agent, in *nix speak). Do you control your own mail server?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No, I do not control the mail server, but I'm puzzled by what you say because:
    My incoming mail comes via two pop3 servers, one owned by AT&T, the other is run by my web host. However, the "bounced" messages do not mention either of those servers. Instead they reference the SMTP server that I use for sending mail which, for various reasons, is run by yet another party (ClearNet who I use as my ISP). If, as you say, the mail server handled the delivery receipts wouldn't the bounced messages come from whichever SMTP server is associated with the particular incoming mail sender?
    Having said that, maybe my logic is faulty as I don't really understand the finer details of mail servers, etc (but that is probably clear to you anyway!!!).
    Thanks for you help
    Cheers
    Ian

Thanks

A delivery receipt can come from either of the following sources:

(1) Server that owns the mailbox, reporting that it successfully delivered the message to a particular mailbox (or reporting that the mailbox does not exist, is fully, etc.)

(2) Server that relays the message to the server that owns the mailbox, reporting that the destination server accepted the message (or rejected it for one reason or another).

Do your delivery receipts follow this pattern? If not, can you post one of them, scrubbing out any incriminating bits?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Afraid J is right. You can only control read receipts. Delivery is a server function for Exchange and POP. Don't know about Notes and some of the others.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Stupidly, I deleted the last of these just prior to posting the query. What I will need to do is await the next one turning up in my inbox and post that.
    What you say makes sense to me, but I'm having trouble relating that to what happens.
    Let's say I receive spam from someone suggesting that they can help my sexual prowess (and let's not speculate on how they know), the return address is, say, abc123@aol.com. I delete the spam (unopened). At some stage, I get a "delivery failed" message in my inbox which mentions the outgoing SMTP server that I use and there is a message somewhere from the AOL server saying abc123 doesn't have an account there or somesuch.
    Now I receive mail in boxes adminstered by providers A and B - so from what you say any delivery receipt should be generated by A or B - and surely if the delivery receipt was "undeliverable" it would be A or B that got the bounce message, not me?
    Furthermore, why would the bounce message refer to the SMTP server of provider C???
    It is that last point that made me think these messages were being generated by Outlook - after all, that is the only application that "knows" I receive mail via A & B and send via C, so it (Outlook) would naturally send anything via C.
    I hope that makes some sense to you ('cause I'm still utterly confused).
    Cheers
    Ian

Thanks

There is the possibility that the bounced messages are generated by one of this past Summer's mass-mailing worms, such as SOBIG.F. Hopefully not on your computer. You probably recall getting a lot of rejections for messages you never sent out.

And if provider C is a large provider, maybe it's just a coincidence? Anyway, we should wait to see the evidence.