Lifino

Excel and the internet?!?

Hi, new here, and somewhat new to Excel, so I appologize if this is a common question, or too low on the dificulty metter to be of any interest to you.

I'm using Excel to catalog various medical journals. I've linked these to the journals online site... I have it working just fine on the computer I use most of the time. But the majority of the other computers in the office will not access Netscape(our preffered browser) or Explorer. You click on the hypertext and nothing happens, then about four minutes later you get a message saying that it stoped trying.

I've looked at everything that I can see but found nothing that would let me tell Excel where to go to access the web. The Help feature isn't giving me much help. Our resident Techies say they don't know anything. I'm turning to you, How do I set up Excel 97 to access the internet? Is there a preference file I can play with?

Any help you can offer would be great. I've probably left out some important piece of information, ask me anything you need...

Thank you very much.
    -Silas

Lifino

Please help.

Hi, me again. I see a bunch of you have checked in here, but no responses yet... Does anybody have any idea why excel would not access the browser automaticaly? And what can I do to tell excel where the browser is?

Thanks
    -Silas

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Excel and the internet?!?

Hello Silas,

Could you check the computers that cannot access Explorer or Netscape and see if they have any form of connection to the Internet - it seems to me that they do not. Who are these resident techies who know nothing ?. If Netscape or Explorer cannot access the web, then I doubt if you can have Excel do it. You need to check the connections, and it is a pity if your techies cannot help.

Sorry I cannot be of more help

Andrew

Lifino

Andrew, Thanks. I am familiar with all of the computers in question and all have both Netscape and Explorer, our office just prefers to use Netscape. Both browsers work just fine from any machine, it is an NT network at Ohio State Univ. and has all the bandwidth that comes along with that.

Our techies aren't very good, poor set up and config., forget to install certain things. Today I even heard a story of them messing something up durring an install and cleaning the guys disk without even telling him(before or after). I started by asking for their help, to see if I could get Excel set up correctly. They wouldn't even come out of thier cubby. Then I asked for at least a manual, Didn't have any of those either... But I'll gripe about them some other time.

Netscape works fine, it is used frequently(at least once an hour, more people than computers) on all machines. I imagine that Excel is not setup correctly. But I come from a Mac background and can only trouble shoot so far in this environment.

Thanks again...
    -Silas

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

If you have a web browser installed then there should have no difficulty accessing the web, unless a firewall needs to be configured to allow Excel gain access.

Hopefully somebody will come to your rescue = pity about the tech support quality

Andrew

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

You could try re-installing Excel (or Office) and make sure all components are installed. Maybe you should that yourself rather than have the techies do it.

Andrew

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

A possible solution is to look at the defaults for .htm & .html files. Open Windows Explorer and click View, Folder Options, File Types. In the panel scroll down until you get to html documents. Underneath it should say what application they open with, and should be either Netscape or IE. If not NN will have to be added.

Lifino

So, I started asking over at another forum I spend a lot of time on...

They suggested the htm and html thing, plus checking the associations. And also said to check the default browser...

The default browser had been my very first thought. BUT I can't find anything that lets me set that in Excel. The associations I haven't checked, but I will look into that...

BUT basicaly the thing is, the links DO work. I've built the sheet, and at one machine they work just fine. In other words I roll over the cell, the cursor changes, I click the cell, Netscape opens and goes to the URL. But at all the other machines this doesn't happen. I figure the problem is that Excel wasn't set up right...

The solution that looks best so far goes like this:

Ok, sounds like you're just trying to get it to open. Not a big deal.
    Click and drag the icon next to Location in Netscape to your desktop. It will create an icon that is an "internet shortcut", or a .URL file if you know your extensions. Left-click on it once, then hold down the left shift key and right-click it to get the menu. Select "Open With" and then choose Netscape from the list - but before clicking Ok, check "Always use this program to open this type of file". Now click ok. You can delete that file that you made, and you should be set.

I'm not sure if this is going to do what I want it too, but we'll see.

Thanks again.
    -Silas