Thread: Network cards

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Network cards

This may be inappropriate for this forum, but can anyone tell me where I can find out what a network card looks like?
    I bought a used machine that used to be on a network, and someone at the store said it had two network cards in it. I would
    like to remove them, but don't know exactly what they look like. The machine keeps asking for my password, but it's a single
    "hobby" retirement toy computer. Where might I find a picture? Hope you can help, and thanks for past help.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Network cards

In the "card cage" you'll probably see a number of cards, each of which has a long shiny metal strip with the card attached. The metal strip has a bolt on the top to fix it into the cage. Look from the outside for one or more sockets in these metal strips into which you'd plug the network Ethernet cable plug. Hope you know what that looks like!

Note that recent computers usually have the network socket built into the motherboard, so you may find another Ethernet socket somewhere else on the back, perhaps near the USB ports (if any!), or the serial or parallel or video ports.

The "asking for your password" probably has nothing whatever to do with the presence or absence of network cards. Depending on the computer and what motherboard it has in it, there will be one or two passwords which have to be given when you power up the machine or want to change some of the "BIOS settings". The best way of getting round this is to ask whoever you got the PC from what the password(s) are! Failing that, the usual trick is to remove the "CMOS battery" for about half an hour, but that could cause problems because other settings could be lost - less likely the newer the computer is. (The user manual may give you information about resetting passwords, perhaps?) If you're not confident about playing with the hardware, you might need to find a friendly technician to assist...

PS a better place for this post would probably have been "Hardware"!
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

John,

I followed your suggestion, and moved the thread from General Windows Solutions to Hardware.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

To add to John's comments, the majority of Ethernet sockets are very much like the socket that current day modular telephones use, except slightly larger. There are a minority however, that had a round socket that protrudes from the back of the card about a quarter-inch or so. I'm not talking about the tiny sockets like on a sound card. I also echo John's sentiment that this has nothing to do with the password problem and if I were you, I wouldn't bother taking out a network card. You never know, there could come a day......

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks guys - I've decided that I best let things be for the time being. I've added memory before, and always had the rubber
    gloves on, so I'm aware of the foolishness of diving in without checking. As far as the password goes, all I have to do is hit
    "enter" - so, until my "computer buddy" has time, I will take your good advice, and keep the "case closed". Thanks again.

Banned Member
    Thanks

Here are some Ethernet Cards. The connection looks like a phone jack{RJ11} but is a little bigger, it is an {RJ45}. Anyway take a look.

Ethernet Cards
    Attached Images Attached Images