3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Trim won't compile (95 to 2000)

I have been given an Access 95 database to upgrade to Access 2000. After converting on opening I got some problems with compiling DAO objects, which I solved by placing DAO. in front of the object type name declarations (recordset -> DAO.recordset) but I have one now that I cannot solve.

The compiler gets stuck on Trim and tells me that it 'Can't find project or library'. When I click OK on the error message dialog box the references dialog box opens. I can see that two of the libraries are missing, Utility.mda and 'Microsoft Jet SQL Help Topics' and another one that I have never seen before, 'Microsoft VisualBasic for Applications Extensibility 5.3' is highlighted.

Trim is so basic that I cannot believe that it is not there. Was it provided by the utility.mda or VBA Extensibility libraries in 95 days?

Can I just get rid of these strange looking references?

Ian

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Trim won't compile (95 to 2000)

Trim is part of the Visual Basic for Applications library, but Access is very sensitive when it comes to references (when it comes to anything, really). The moment it detects a missing reference, it stubbornly refuses to recognize many "basic" functions.

Just uncheck the missing references, the code will almost certainly work OK again after that. You can also uncheck 'VisualBasic for Applications Extensibility 5.3', you don't need that one unless you use VBA code to write VBA code. I don't know why this reference is checked by default when you convert a database, only a very small minority of all users will ever need it.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Worked like a dream. Thanks again.
    By the way, is there any way to search for my old posts?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

See <!post=Temporary suspension of Search facility,250092>Temporary suspension of Search facility<!/post> and <!post=Search is coming!,313192>Search is coming!<!/post>.