Lounger
    Thanks

dual monitor resolution (XP Home)

I have a Dell 8500 Laptop w/15.4" screen that is optimized at 1960x1600. I have tried using a 2 year old Eizo 19" CRT as an external monitor that has a max resolution of 1280x1024 without success. Regardless of what I do, XP forces the external monitor resolution onto the laptop. Worse, often it reverts to 640x480 on both. Ouch! Is there a way to accomodate the high resolution the laptop is optimized for and simultaneously use the external Eizo at its max resolution? I use the laptop for design work and would like to have clients seated in front of me see the revision work on the external monitor. I could pop for a new CRT at 1960x1600, but would prefer to get some additional utility out of the Eizo.

Thanks

Re: dual monitor resolution (XP Home)

A similar thing happens when I run PowerPoint shows on that screen, the laptop display stretches to 1024x768 (from its normal setting of "WXGA" @ 1280x800).

If you open the Display settings control panel, do you have two monitors set up? Can you get the resolution correct using the Advanced settings?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: dual monitor resolution (XP Home)

This is strange. I can downsize either the laptop or the external without affecting the other. See the two screen grabs pasted one above the other.
    Gre