Lounger
    Thanks

Linking Two Routers

LIfe was simple and good! I had an eight port Linksys Etherfast Cable DSL/Router connected to my cable modium and connected to my 4 coupters and networked printer. Everything shared and life was good. Then I bought my wife a Dell 8500 laptop with wireless remote access. So being the good husband, and following those famous words echoed so often here in the lounge (yes Dear), I went and bought a Linksys Wireless G WRT54G Broadband router. This router has 4 etherfast ports plus wireless. Now I have two issues: 1. I need to connect the second router, if possible, so I can get the rest of my network back up and running. I tried connecting and changing the settings, etc (static IP, gateway IP) but to no help. The wireless router sees the other router (assigns it an IP addy) and the computers behind I but cannot ping them either from the computer or the router. Plus I cannot share files or the internet with the other computers. Issue number 2 - I am having connectivity problems with the laptop and the wireless router. I get a strong signal but continuely disconects from the network and immediately pops up a window "one or more networks is available, click to see networks". I click and click on connect and I am back online. The router is located on a large wooden desk about 3 feet from a window and the house's outside walls are brick. I am mainly trying to use this downstairs but even when trying to connect in the same room I get this problem. I get a very strong signal 54mg even outside one hundred feet or more away. I also have WAP activiated with a 128 key code. Any help on one or both these issues would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Linking Two Routers

Travlr - the never ending battle to please "She who must be obeyed". Good Luck.

Some immediate questions?

Why use two routers? In your Instance , it would appear that the WRT54G would have everything that the old one had, so why not just replace it? Failing that, you will need to tier the two routers - many Low - end router suppliers say it won't work, but that is precisely what routers are about. I have a similar instance, Home Wireless LAN is 54G (a D-Link DI624) but we are in a non-ADSL, non Cable area (Don' ask...) so I use an old Netgear RM356, as a dialup router. The Netgear, of course, picks up it's Outside address from our ISP. It's inside address is set at 192.168.0.1 (Which is the default for many Home Routers - so make sure that you don't have both of your routers at the same address). The DLink is connected to one of it's Lan Ports, and has it's outside IP as 192.168.0.3, and it's inside as 192.168.2.1 - you will need to separate this to a different subnet. and potentially open up through-ports on the Wireless Router.

As the cannot connect wirelessly - this may be related - Is it picking up an IP address from the Integral DHCP Server? What is the address - if there is confusion (i.e. both routers issuing DHCP's ) you might hit APIPA problems (It's a Microsoft workaround for DHCP Problems that unfortunately the HW Vendors trip over from time to time.) If signal strength is good, then it is most likely IP configuration that is biting you. Can you describe your IP Numbers and Settings?

Regards

MisterQ

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Replace the cable only with the wireless router or trade the new wireless for a Wireless entry point, which will add wireless to an existing cabled network.
    I have installed a WAP54G from Linksys and it works great. You can get one from Amazon.com.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Router to Router in a SOHO network can be too much trouble. If you have all Windows XP then a "Bridge" can be created. I would strongly suggest removing the origional router and replacing it with the Wireless or returning the wireless router and getting a wireless access point. On the AP you connect an ethernet cable in and wireless goes out.

Lounger
    Thanks

I want to apoligize and thank everyone who answered my orginal request for help on the two routers. I found a very small KBA on the Linksys site which showed me how to connect the two routers together even though they do not recommend it. Basicly I turned off the DHCP service and changed the the IP addy on the wireless router, connect the wireless router to the etherfast router and VOLA it works. Intranet and internet works fine. Also my connectivity problem seems to have mainly disappeared since I moved the router about 15 feet from the outside wall. It still laspes at points but much better then it was working. I may at some point change to a wireless access point instead of the wireless router but since this seems to be working I am not tempting the fates right now!
    Again thanks and sorry for the delay in getting back to everyone.