Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Go To PDF Without Acrobat

Go To PDF
    Screenshot of Go To PDF Virtual Printer

Putting up this free program--we've had threads before on programs to convert graphics, text, or a mixture of both into a PDF file. Install the program on any Windows 2000 or WinXP machine to get the virtual Go2PDF printer. When you wish to convert a document to PDF, select to print it with the virtual printer. It's that simple.

I don't know how this program will compare with some of the other many free pdf conversion progams that can be searched, but some people have used those and maybe they'll tell me.

Of course not trying to compare this to the tools you have if you take advantage of Acrobat 5 or 6, Scansoft's new .pdf converter, Scansoft's new Omni Page Pro 14
    Scan, Print, Convert Features all three of these apps interaction with Word. I also received this information from Scansoft to context the new features of Omni Page Pro 14:

"The main question is whether you want to use Office files or PDF or both as your distribution mechanism. Keep in perspective that the main advantage of OmniPage Pro 14 Office is the OCR capability that lets you OCR capability that lets you convert scanned documents or image-only PDF files into editable documents (which can be Microsoft Office documents) or searchable PDF files. (Acrobat has OCR too, in their Capture product, but we believe OmniPage is more accurate than anything else on the market and probably offers a simpler workflow.OmniPage Pro 14 Office supports the following security features in PDF output:

**Password protection (with separate user and owner passwords)
    **40- or 128-bit encryption
    **Enable/disable print, modify, copy, and/or add
    **Signature (none, PPKLite, or VeriSign)"

Would be interested in how pdf aficianados think this stacks up compared with other free pdf converters.

SMBP

Thanks

Re: Go To PDF Without Acrobat

I've tried 3 print-to-PDF products. One pops up annoying ads, but otherwise works fine (pdf995, free from http://www.pdf995.com); another gave me blue screens on Windows 2000, so I uninstalled it promptly; the third costs money but works very well and lets me batch printouts into a single file so I don't have to constantly enter file names when printing (pdfFactory, $50 from http://www.fineprint.com/). I've also used Acrobat on someone else's PC, but I prefer pdfFactory. So I won't be trying this one, but I do believe in competition.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Really appreciate this info from you. As you know there are a lot of free ones out there, and I don't mind spending some money but like anyone if I'm going to buy something as expensive as Acrobat I want to pick out the best bang for my buck, and I also know their may be no point in getting the high end product if my ability to use it is lagging way behind what it can do. I can also upgrade to OPP 14 for under $80 because I have 12 and am trying to sort out what I can get done with Office and it together with some of its new features.

Thanks a lot.

SMBP

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

SMBP,

I've been using Win2PDF for about 6 months. Rarely use it, but when I have, it works fine on my XP PC.

Jeff
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator