2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Font substitution problem (97/SR2)

Hi,

I'm working with a user who has 2 PPT files that if open on a NT 4 with Off 97 look fine.
    However open the same file on Win XP and Off 97 and some of the text (Helv, Tms Rmn (not Helvetica, Times New Roman)) appear as boxes. Also on a Win XP Off XP the text is fine. (and where PPT was upgraded from 97 to 2002). The problem has been duplicatedd on different pcs.

Font, Replace works but the users don't like this workaround. There definitely seems to be a problem.

Any ideas, suggestions? can unicode be part of the problem. In the registry font substitution looks to be the same.

TIA,

Jimmy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Font substitution problem (97/SR2)

Hi Jimmy

I am quite new at PowerPoint and always have trouble with pack and go but would that cure your problem because you have the option to pack the fonts you use with the slideshow.

Steve

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

This is probably an issue of all the WindowsXP/Office XP being imaged from the same source, and that source doesn't have the same fonts the presentation creators used in the original Office 97 files.

Since the users don't like Format/Replace fonts, how about making sure all the computers have the appropriate fonts installed?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies.

I would like a general solution to give to the users. For the moment, following MS KB recommendations, I would tell them to stay with the standard fonts. Just hope they'll accept that.

But I would love a more general solution since the problem is apt to re-occur.

Thanks again.

Jimmy Lee

New Lounger
    Thanks

Have you tried embedding your fonts in the presentation? If not, choose File ... Save As then choose Tools ... Embed True Type Fonts. (I recommend this option for anyone who has used anything other than the most standard fonts.)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Having helped lots of users who have similar issues I usually recommend that they stick to standard Windows installed fonts. If you use Arial, Tahoma, Verdana or at a push Times (which I don't recommend) then when you move your presentation from one machine to another it should work no problem - if you want to guarantee this then use Arial - this font is for sure installed as part of Windows and while not as graceful as say something like Gill Sans it is a classic font. Depending on your audience you could use Comic Sans but this may lack the professionalism you need.

Arial, Times, Tahoma and Verdana are standard Windows fonts...hence the way to work around your compatibility problems.