3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Separate Logon Ques. (XPHome, SP1)

We have just installed XP Home over a flakey version of ME and now I have some questions. I have set up separate environments for the family (2 admin, 2 limited). We are running OE as our mail program. We have one family mailbox and separate mailboxes for each individual on our ISP (Comcast.net).

Question 1: I want to set my wife and i up so we default to the family mailbox with our private mailboxes as alternatives. I have done that, but if I login and see the mail in the family mailbox and then switch over to my wife's environment, she does not see the email. Is there a way that we can both see the mail that comes into the family box?

Question 2: I want my environment to display at a higher resolution than the default, but it doesn't stick. I run at 1152x864 instead of the default 1024x768. How can I get my environment to stick at the higher resolution?

TIA, Douglas

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Separate Logon Ques. (XPHome, SP1)

Re question 1, you would need to leave a copy of the message(s) on the server. This is copied from OE help:
    To store messages on an e-mail server

Storing messages on a server is useful if you need to read e-mail from more than one computer. When you log on to your account from a different computer, Outlook Express downloads messages according to the options you have set. You can store messages on a POP3 server. If you have HTTP e-mail, or IMAP e-mail, your messages are always kept on the server.

On the Tools menu, click Accounts.
    Click the e-mail account, and then click Properties.
    Click the Advanced tab, and then select Leave a copy of messages on server.

You will have to work it out with your wife as to who and when the messages are cleared from the server.

As for Question 2, the short answer is that it can't be done. XP does not allow different resolutions for different users. I believe that there are some 3rd party solutions, but afraid I don't know much about them as I don't have a need. You can set different font sizes etc for different users, but you (and lots of others!) are stuck with "one size fits all"

kip

Banned Member
    Thanks

Re: Separate Logon Ques. (XPHome, SP1)

<hr>We have just installed XP Home over a flaky version of ME<hr>

Ouch. Would have been much better to have Clean Installed WinXP, then to have left remnants of yucky flaky WinMe.

Display Resolution ManagerDisplay Resolution Manager is simple, yet much needed computer utility that allows each user to set preferred screen resolution.