Lounger
    Thanks

What does the Left Bracket mean?

When I open certain files, a Left Bracket appears (normal view) at the left at the beginning of the text. It cannot be deleted like a normal character. I suspect it indicates something about the text or paragraph which follows.

The problem is, that I would like to add new text before (above) this bracket. Any new lines I add, however, only push the bracket up.

Thank you,

Ed Colaianni
    Karlsruhe, Germany

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: What does the Left Bracket mean?

Ed,

Does the bracket disappear in Print Preview and when you print the document? - if so, it may be part of a bookmark.

Try going to Tools/Options/View and see if there is checkmark next to Bookmarks. If there is, trying unchecking this, and see if the left bracket disappears.

Gary

Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, it is indeed the beginning of a bookmark!

Now, how can I insert text at the beginning of the file, outside of the bookmark, if possible without deleting and reestablishing the bookmark.

Ed Colaianni

Super Moderator
    Thanks

There's no direct way to put your cursor at the start and type text to the left of the bookmark.

If you're determined to do so, and can readily see both the opening and closing brackets of the bookmark, a workaround would be to select the entire bookmark and its contents, Cut, type your text and then Paste the bookmark and its contents back in, to the right of your typing.

Perhaps a more relevant question is: how did the bookmark get there/is it serving any useful function? If not, you could just delete it or simply ignore it.

Gary

Lounger
    Thanks

I have now found a way to add text before a bookmark at the beginning of a document:

1. Insert a character at the beginning of the document (it becomes part of the bookmark)
    2. Select all the bookmark text except the character added.
    3. Bring up the dialog box under Insert-Bookmark
    4. The bookmark name of the bookmark at the beginning of the document will be highlighted. Click on "Add". The beginning of the bookmark will move. The character added will now be outside the bookmark.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Good one! [img]/w3timages/icons/cool.gif[/img]