2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows freezes after boot

When my Win2K system boots it complains about a corrupt RECYCLER folder on a fat32 drive and runs scandisk to recover/repair it then continues to boot. It finishes booting and everything looks and works normal for a few seconds then the mouse and keyboard freeze up. The amount of time it works has gone steadily down. For a while I could work in Safe Mode but that doesn't work anymore. The recovery console does appear to work. I've done a chkdsk on the fat32 drive from the console but that didn't seem to change anything. If I could move everything from this drive to another partition I'd reformat that drive but I've got 1.6G of data to move.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Thanks,

C DeWitt

Banned Member
    Thanks

Re: Windows freezes after boot

What is the exact Error?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows freezes after boot

It wasn't specific about what the error was, it just ran chkdsk on one of the drives as part of the boot process. I unpluged the drive and Win2K is booting fine now.

The next problem is how to recover the data on the bad drive. Since that drive is a Fat32 file system I tried booting from a WinME floppy (after reconnecting the drive). The system booted fine and ME mounted a Fat32 volume I had on my other drive but did not mount the two Fat32 volumes I had on the bad drive. Fdisk tells me the drive is there with its two Fat32 partitions but it still won't mount them.

Next I'm going to try putting the drive in a WinME system and see if that helps. One potential problem is that the system in question does not support large drives so it's running with a SIIG add on drive controler with a bios rom that does. I don't know if this is causing any greif. The WinME system does support large drives so that problem won't be an issue.

My time to work on this is kind of scattered so I don't get much done very fast.
    Thanks,

C DeWitt