4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Attachments (Offoce 2000)

I am totally unfamiliar with Outlook and Outlook Express (I use Eudora). I periodically E-mail a zipped Access database to a number of users that are running both Windows 98 and Windows XP. In Eudora attachments can be automatically stored in a folder on receipt of the E-mail and then it is a simle matter to extract the zipped file to the desktop.

The users have the database stored on their desktop. What I am seeking is a set of instructions that can be given to the users to take the E-mailed database from Outlook or Outlook Express and replace the old database on their desktop.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Attachments (Offoce 2000)

What seems simplest is:

(1) Double-click the ZIP file to open the archives
    (2) Drag the MDB file to the desktop and confirm that you want to replace the old version

Step (2) will be difficult if the desktop is not visible (due to maximized or many open windows). An alternative two-step is:

(1) Save the ZIP file to the desktop (e.g., in Outlook, File>Save Attachments or right-click it and Save As...)
    (2) View the desktop, right-click the ZIP file, and choose Extract to here (assuming WinZip is installed)

You might get better suggestions, but these should be a reasonable fallback.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Many thanks. I will send these instructions out with the next database update.

Tom

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Expanding on Jerfferson's suggestions you could also include instructions to double click the file and extract to the chosen folder, rather than the desktop.

FWIW you could optionally do as I once did: create a self extracting file which always extracts to a specific directory, embedded in an attached Word document to get around Outlook security attachment controls.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS