Lounger
    Thanks

Run DLL error (xp 2002 sp1)

I shut off my graphics accelerator to try and fix a certain problem I was having. Afterward, I right clicked on the Desktop and got an error message that Windows Explorer had encountered a problem and was shutting down. I eventually rebooted and got the error message that there was an "hkcmd module" error.

In short, I can no longer right click the desktop to get to my settings. I can go through Start, Settings, Control Panel, Display, Settings, Advanced, and get to Display Properties; however, once I click on the Advanced button, I get another error message that says "an exception occurred while trying to run "shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL "C:/WINDOWSSystem32DESK.CPL",Display"

Any thoughts or suggestions? Anything is appreciated.

RR

Thanks

Re: Run DLL error (xp 2002 sp1)

It sounds as though there is a problem with the custom software associated with your graphics card or chipset. Perhaps there is a way to refresh that software (be it a GUI or some driver files) through either Windows-repair-thyself or through the hardware configuration GUI. Because it's hard to use a computer without a display, it's not like a mouse you can just delete and let Windows re-recognize. Or is it? More experienced diagnosticians will need to chime in.

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Run DLL error (xp 2002 sp1)

Your post gave me the idea to update the drivers. Guess what? Worked like a charm. Everything is working fine. Thanks for the input!

RR