New Lounger
    Thanks

Updating index field resets page numbers (Word 2002, SP-2)

I have a 100+ page document with a several-page index at the end. Whenever I update the index field, the page number on the second page of the index becomes 2, and the following pages are numbered sequentially from there. The first page of the index is correctly numbered as the next page after the body of the document. I have gone to the Page Number Format dialog box and selected "Continue from previous section," which works at the time, but as soon as I update the index again, the page numbers revert to what they were. The document only has three sections: the main section, and the two that Word puts in automatically for the index. Since the page numbers in the first section do start at page 1, I've tried turning off the "Same as previous" setting for the page footers in the index, thinking that maybe the "Start at 1" from the first section was being carried over into the second section. But when I update the index field, not only are the page numbers changed back, but so is the "Same as previous" setting. It seems that Word insists on creating those last two sections however it wants, and won't let me override their formatting. Do I just have to remember to fix the page numbers before I release the document, or is there a permanent solution?

Thanks!

Earl Morton

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Updating index field resets page numbers (Word

Hi Earl:
    I can't duplicate the problem in Word 2000 & I noticed that no one seems to have an answer yet. I searched the knowledge base & only came up with this article. However, from what you've described, that might not help. The article indicates the page numbers may be incorrect if you have a different page format in different sections. Since there seem to be no other kb articles describing this, it could be that there is some corruption in your document.

I'm not sure what would help, but you could start by simply deleting the page fields in the footer. Then make sure that "same as previous" is turned on in all sections (since you want continuous numbers) & re-insert the {page} field. You could make a copy of your document to start with & try to recreate the index from scratch. You might create a copy of the index, convert the field to text (Ctrl+Shift+F9), & then modify the list to use as a concordance file.
    Hope this helps,

3 Star Lounger
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Hi,

If you get an answer for your problem can you please make sure it is added to the post. We are having similar problems with Word 2002 losing the page numbering for the index because it puts new section breaks in whenever refreshed or inserted. I haven't come up with any solution yet short of going in and manually changing them.

Regards

New Lounger
    Thanks

(Edited by HansV to activate link to MSKB)

I found one other article in the MS Knowledge Base that wasn't exactly about this problem, but it hinted at where the problem might be (<!mskb=220425>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 220425<!/mskb>). It says there is a problem with the section breaks that Word automatically puts in when it inserts the index field. So I experimented for a while with those section breaks, the page number formatting, and re-inserting the index field. The problem eventually was fixed, but I can't say for certain what fixed it. I hesitate to try very hard to duplicate the problem and the fix, because I don't want to break my document again, nor take the time to create a dummy document to experiment with. But I did delete the section break that follows the index field, then I re-inserted the page numbers in the last document section (the one that contains the index). When I updated the index, the page numbers were correct. I have updated the index several times and closed and reopened the document, and the page numbers are still what they are supposed to be. Maybe re-inserting the page numbers alone would have fixed it, or maybe deleting the section break alone would have. Try those and see if they work for you. Good luck!

Earl