3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cryptographic service?!? (XP Home)

Does anybody know what the h*ll Crytographic service is? After having to reinstall Windows, I'm trying to apply critical updates (all 49 of them!). The first is SP1, but it fails and throws up an error message saying "Setup could not verify the integrity of the file Update.inf. Make sure the Cryptographic service is running on this computer." Neither the Windows help nor the Knowledgebase offers any kind of insight.
    Help greatly appreciated...

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Cryptographic service?!? (XP Home)

How about this?
    -Mark

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the (very) fast reponse. How do I get Cryptographic service to run, though?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Well, that's interesting - it should be running already. To check, click on Start - Run and in the box type services.msc (you can also get to your services through the control panel, or by right clicking on the My Computer icon and selecting Manage). The console should be fairly self explanatory. You can click on column headers to sort services by their current state, by name, startup type....whatever column you choose. If the service is set to manual or disabled, change its startup type to Automatic and then try manually starting it.

HTH,
    -Mark

New Lounger
    Thanks

Got this at:
    http://www.updatexp.com/cryptographic-service.html

At least one of the patches will tell you cryptographic
    service isn't running when it is running. At the command
    prompt, (Runcmd), paste in each of these separately
    and press enter after each.

net start cryptsvc
    regsvr32 softpub.dll
    regsvr32 wintrust.dll
    regsvr32 initpki.dll
    regsvr32 dssenh.dll
    regsvr32 rsaenh.dll
    regsvr32 gpkcsp.dll
    regsvr32 sccbase.dll
    regsvr32 slbcsp.dll
    regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I don't know much about cryptographic services, but either it's running or it isn't and you can go where Mark pointed you and look at its status--I find "services.msc" the quickest way to get to and take a look at services, and if you click on properties of course you get a little summary.

SMBP

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Colin-

Ed by SMBP Unfortunately, the link changes when you post it through no fault of the Lounge--it's peculiar to the site's page and gives you the Home Page instead of the problem answer so when I realized this I pasted the answer here:

How To: Fix "Cryptographic Service" error when installing Windows XP Updates

You are trying to install Windows XP Service Pack 1, or a Windows XP Security Patch, and you receive an error message like this: "Setup encountered an error: Setup could not verify the integrity of the file update.inf. Make sure the Cryptographic Service is running on this computer."

Solution

Ensure that the "Cryptographic Services" service is running on your computer. To do this, open Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services. Select "Cryptographic Services" from the list of names. Right-click this service and select Properties. If the service is not shown as "Started", you can start it by clicking the Start button. You should also set the Startup type to Automatic so that it will be running when needed in future. Close the Services control panel and try installing the service pack or security patch. If the "Cryptographic Services" service was already running, stop the service by clicking the Stop button, then using Windows Explorer, locate the folder WindowsSystem32catroot2 and rename it to something like xcatroot.

Now restart "CryptographicServices" by clicking the Start button, and try installing the service pack or security patch. If the service pack or security patch still fails to install, stop the "Cryptographic Services" service again. Open a command prompt window (click Start, Run, type cmd and hit Enter) and then type the following commands:

regsvr32 softpub.dll
    regsvr32 wintrust.dll
    regsvr32 initpki.dll
    regsvr32 dssenh.dll
    regsvr32 rsaenh.dll
    regsvr32 gpkcsp.dll
    regsvr32 sccbase.dll
    regsvr32 slbcsp.dll
    regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll

Restart "Cryptographic Services" by clicking the Start button again, and try installing the service pack or security patch.

This comes from a good site though, which is

Tech Pro and Search For Cryptographic Services or whatever is the topic you want help on

See these for some additional reference:

Cryptographic Services Service

Also their is a KB that references the error, and like so many of them it is for Windows 2000 service packs technically but it may wellapply to XP:

281458: Error Message When You Install a Windows 2000 Service Pack or Product Update

I must say in addition to Windows Update being systemically so broken, I find that searching the KB with even whatever improvements MS has bestowed on their site that they announced with great fanfare in MS Press, I find it a far superior search either when searching Microsoft's Sites or for KB articles to use google or any search engine. I tried to search for that error several ways using Advanced Search and all kinds of quotes at the KB and it would not yield the KB article--and this happens reapeatedly.

SMBP

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for all your help. After posting my question, I remembered Google and searched there. As you noted, it does seem to be far better than the KB search (maybe MS should buy Google?!). I found a site - xpupdate I think - that gave a series of steps to follow. It turns out that the cryptographic services WERE running, but that my catroot2 file was corrupted as you mention below.
    Thanks again.

Thanks

> maybe MS should buy Google?!

This is rumored, but Google has said it would prefer to go public. That could just mean "we want more money," or it could mean they prefer their independence. Time will tell.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I think I read somewhere that MS was going to "Contract" some services from Google.com.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

This was a hot strong rumor whatever that means, but Gates said they were never wink wink in talks in his Comdex address the other day but...

I for one think that their searches could only get better with Googlesoft or Microgoogle.

SMBP