Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Embedded Images in Outlook messages (Outlook97/Win

I'm looking for confirmation here, so please don't spend time providing a solution - yet!

I've spent some short time trying to understand what's going on with images embedded in Outlook97 messages. I've found pages on the web that indicate it's a struggle in Outlook98, and I now believe that Outlook97 is strictly keyboard text in email messages.

Images can be sent as attachments.

HyperLinks to images can be sent within the text body.

But Embedded images - No way!

My simple experiments show me that while composing an Outlook97 message, I can paste (Ctrl-V) an image from the clipboard into the message. I can save the message (using the 'send" button, which doesn't really send the message yet).

If I save the message to file, Outlook can save it as an RTF file, with the image stored as base-10 digital codes.

But once I cause the message to be emitted via modem to the recepient, the image is stripped from the body of the message.

In short, If I want to embed images in text body, I should upgrade to a later release of Outlook OR switch to another package, such as Eudora.

Thanks

Re: Embedded Images in Outlook messages (Outlook97/Win

RTF should render identically at the receiver's end if he or she is using Outlook. Other clients probably won't parse the contents properly.

For most purposes, yes, you should send other people only plain text or HTML format messages; of these, you can only place inline images in HTML; therefore, Outlook 97 is of no use for these purposes. Most mail clients now do HTML format messages.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Embedded Images in Outlook messages (Outlook97

Jefferson, thanks for this response.

> RTF should render identically at the receiver's end
    Yabbut, RTF is/was horrible. RTF seems to store bit-values as base-10 thereby bloating the message to an astronomical size.

>Most mail clients now do HTML format messages
    Thanks for this too. I have d/l Eudora 6.x and am essaying with it right now.