Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Special Characters

I have a professor who needs to be able to type a number with the carat symbol above it. Any suggestions? I know about the control ' for certain letters but I don't know about numeric shortcuts. Thanks.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Special Characters

The key shorcut for putting a caret above certain letters, doesn't work for numbers.

Possibly there may be some specialized fonts that make these kinds of characters available.

One way that you can do this in Word is to create the number/symbol using the Equation Editor.

Thanks

The equation editor allows much flexibility, but inserts large objects. I tried the EQUATION field instead, but it doesn't raise the ^ above the numeral:

{ EQ O(3,^) }

I tried to embed an ADVANCE field to superscript the caret, but this generated an error...

{ EQ O(3, { ADVANCE u 3 } ^) }

Using just advance is a bit tricky because the numbers will change depending on the width of the numbers, but this works for 12 point Century Schoolbook:

etc. 3{ ADVANCE l 6 u 4 }^{ ADVANCE d 4 } etc.

(These are the special braces inserted with ctrl+F9)

Hope this helps.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Oh, my couple of forays into Advance fields have led to mayhem!

What do you mean by large object - are you referring to large font size? When I tried this it gave me the same size as the rest of the text in the paragraph - maybe this has to do with default settings (I'm no Equation maven).

Thanks

I was thinking of the equation editor that inserts OLE objects. Useful for complicated mathematical things that would be a bear to make up in a drawing program. But the source of a few corrupted documents around here (patent lawyers).

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I think there is general question here - how is it possible in Word to type a character, backspace, then type another character on top of the first? It ought to be possible in any font, with the resulting black dots on the printed page being additive.

This would cater for your problem with putting a carat character on top of a number [type the number, backspace, then type the carat ^ character, then advance the curos position to just past the "wider" character], allow "strikeout" where each character is struck through with a forward slash character (rather than a hyphen), and so on.

Has anyone any idea whether or how this backspace-and-overtype action can be done in Word? Otherwise, it's back to the trusty typewriter!
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

My guess would be that AT LEAST a printer command should work.

If you could embed code within the stream of characters that would be interpreted by the specific printer to back-up one character and then continue printing, you'ld have your overstrike. Moving from there to a macro to do it is a piece of cake.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Chris, I'd agree with you but for the fact is that most drivers for HP seem to output graphics PCL commands. Only Word knows what font size you're using and how wide the current character is, so the soultion would need to be deep within Word, IMHO.
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, the effect can be achieved in the following way:

Use Times New Roman or Arial or Arial Unicode Font (or any other font which has the character subset described below).

Type the character. With the cursor positioned after the character you want the glyph over, go to Insert Symbols.
    Choose Times New Roman or Arial or Arial Unicode as the case may be (instead of normal text which is the default).
    Choose the subset called Combining diacritical marks.
    There is a choice of accented characters available. Choose the one you want and click Insert.
    Bingo, you've got what you want.

You may allow your trusty typewriter to go rusty now.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dear Gary

I have described a solution for overtyping an accent above a character elsewhere in this thread, and I wanted you to know.

Another way to do the same thing is to use MathType add-in, which gives total control over height of placement etc.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Rajesh, we appear to be closer but the diacritical marks for Arial and TNR in Word 97 number only five: grave accent, acute accent, tilde accent, 'squiggle' (is this caron?) and 'bottom left dot'. It doesn't include the carat character requested earlier, nor my 'forward slash' character. So a much more general solution, allowing the use of any character to 'non-destructively overwrite' a preceding one, seems to be required. Perhaps I ought to create a new thread for this?

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you - I used 3{ ADVANCE l 6 u 4 }^{ ADVANCE d 4 } and this worked fine. Thanks again to all.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

ok - new problem How do I assign this method to a macro icon on the toolbar. I thought I could just copy and paste but it doesn't work. I wanted to put everything except the number that needs the symbol over it but when I copy and paste, it just puts the symbol. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

The field code { EQ O(1,2) } will overstrike 2 over 1. This is the most reliable method, but it is clunky to use. The reason this didn't solve the caret over number problem is that the caret printed on the number (see below). In checking other fonts, the problem of trying to generalize this solution are clear. Perhaps some VBA to calculate and insert the fields could create a workable solution...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

First, turn on View field codes (Alt-F9). If you copy and paste, are they there? If so, it works! If not, hmmm...

As for the macro, it's dangerous to rely on the clipboard. It might be easier to save the field codes (and intervening caret) as an AutoText entry. I highlighted mine yellow before saving to reduce the confusion (trying to arrow through the fields causes the insertion point to dance bizarrely), and named it ^ (caret). Then, you simply type the number, the caret, and press F3 to expand the caret to your AutoText. Simpler than VBA, unless you need to recalculate the values in the fields, then VBA is your only hope.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast